How do you all deal with it?!?!

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
Everytime I got to the coop DUST is EVERYWHERE at every little crack! It's all over the heat lamp too! UGH!!! How do you all deal with this torture?
barnie.gif

According to Opa, breathing the dust will cause you to be unable to count correctly, causing in inexplicable urge for more chickens.

To be honest, the dust can be harmful. If you're concerned, use a face mask.

Is the floor of your coop dirty? This could be a contributor.
Dust will dirty your bulbs, which will make them less effective. You could have cold chickens if the bulb isn't dusted!!!

Yes the dust can cause BREEDER DISEASE, in most cases its the worker at the big poultry houses.

Best to wear a mask, anytime you are cleaning any bird pens.

I just started with my first batch of chickens. I have discovered the dust issue as well. I did some research on it and found it's a pretty normal occurance for chickens in coops. I just open the coop doors from time to time to be sure there is a good air flow and don't worry so much about the dust as far as the chickens are concerned. When I clean the pine shavings from the floor I do wear a mask and goggles though. I read some articles that said the dust wasn't a good thing to breathe, especially with all the chicken poop mixed in with it. If you have lights and stuff in the coop you may dust them off from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom