How do you bath a chicken for a show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenhead, Jan 16, 2010.

1. greenhead

greenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    my daughter has a show next weekend and her chickens legs will not come clean? it almost seems that there is dirt in the scales or dry skin and we cannot get it out. can someone please tell me how to do this? thank you for your help.

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    What kind of Chicken is it?
    I showed Cochins and even Bantams take about 2 hours from start to finish.

If it is white you can get blueing to add to the rinse water to really brighten it. I used baby shampoo, then rinsed, added some fabric softener to my rinse water.My final rinse was with the blueing added. Make the water slightly warm as if you were bathing a dog and generally they do not mind it at all.

When done washing, wrap in a towel for a bit, then get the hair dryer, start on low and start drying, you can fluff with your fingers as you dry, and make sure the feathers are laying properly.

I just bathed in my bathroom, but you can also set up totes, one for wash, one for rinse, just make sure it is warm and draft free wherever you are.

You can use baby oil to enhance the cobs, wattles and legs when showing. A small nailbrush works well on feet and legs.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    pathfinders has a how to tutorial on this, it is really great, see if you can do a search for it. or PM her for the link, it's very comprhensive.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I bathe in the bathtub. Wet the bird under the faucet like a shower. Add shampoo and gently work it into the feathers. Do not neglect the legs and feet, or the head (but do be careful not to get water near the nose or mouth). Once thoroughly suds up, I let them set a few minutes. Then I once again massage the shampoo throughout the plumage. I always make sure the feet are clean as well; rinse thoroughly. As someone mentioned, a nail brush will help get out any dirt. A dip in warm water with vinegar will make sure all the soap comes out. You then may want to rinse in water to which glycerin has been added for an extra shine. Wrap in a towel to absorb moisture, tehn a blow dry or dry under a heat lamp. Don;t put the birds backj into the cold for at least 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by