how do you breed rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenmama109, Apr 4, 2018.

1. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    hi i have a six week old rabbit and when she gets alittle older i would like to breed rabbits but i dont know any thing about it so im trying to learn as much has i can if any one has any info thanks so much

2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    First thing you need to know is how to care for a rabbit.
    With a dozen or more threads you've started on simple care for a rabbit I would get the idea of breeding completely out of you head and go back to learning how to take care of the one you have.
    Sorry if this is coming off harsh but first things first.

3. Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    You have months to learn before your doe will be ready to breed. A doe should be at least 6 months old, not that she cannot get pregnant earlier but it will stunt her growth and it is more likely that her first kindle will not survive.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Bunnylady likes this.
  4. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    Why do you want to breed your rabbit? What do you intend to do with the kits?

5. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    thanks every one im not sure yet if i want to im just looking in to it thanks every one

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    . . . and here it is, the "other shoe" I've been waiting for.:rolleyes:

As all of the threads you have started make clear, you are very excited about your new pet, but have a huge amount to learn before you are really comfortable with her. You really haven't had her long enough to even know whether you like having a rabbit as a pet. Your rabbit is going to present you with a lot of challenges as she grows. You have said she doesn't seem to like you right now; her personality is going to change as she matures, and you may even find that you don't like the rabbit she turns into as an adult.

The responsible rabbit breeder has a goal in mind, whether it's putting meat on the table or rabbits on a show table. If you are thinking about making money, forget that; most of the people who aren't working on a commercial scale spend more than they make just on feed and supplies.

Breeding animals isn't just about "making more." Just because an animal can reproduce doesn't mean it should be allowed to; as the rabbit rescues will endlessly tell you, they always have more unwanted rabbits dumped on them than they have homes willing to take them in - and that doesn't include the rabbits that people abandon in the mistaken belief that the rabbits can make it on their own. Some of these rabbits have health issues that are the result of poor breeding; things like bad teeth, constant stomach trouble, epilepsy, blindness, and deformed bones of the limbs or back. Some have truly nasty personalities, which to some degree can be inherited, too (I say rabbits like that have voted themselves out of the gene pool; the last thing I want is for some child to get attacked by a rabbit that I bred).

Can you deal with dead babies? Breeders see them ALL THE TIME. Better yet, can you kill a baby that was born deformed, or for some other reason needs to die? As entrancing as new litters are, there are some real downers associated with bringing new bunnies into this world, too.

Something I have said many times, is that anyone who believes in the expression "breeds like rabbits" has never tried it. It's frustrating, discouraging, and not for the faint of heart.

Enjoy your new pet. Focus on her, getting to know her, and learning about what it takes to be a good owner - then you can start to worry about what you need to know to be a good breeder.

7. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    Thanks so much I just wanted to kinda get to know what I would have to do to breed before I decided. Thanks every one for your help sorry about all of the posts I’ve made just trying to take care of her the right way she is getting use to me and is doing really well thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: