How do you bring yourself to do the deed?

Quote:
If this is your first time and you don't have someone available to remove your child from the area if he freaks out, I would take him to grandma's or a neighbor's/friend's. Of course, it's up to you what you think your child can handle. If he's witnessed the food chain in action, and seems comfortable knowing that your chickens will end up looking similar to the ones you pick up from the store, then he may very well be okay with it. You have to remain calm yourself even if things get a little weird.... (more blood than you're expecting, more movement/sounds, etc.... ) I watched numerous youtube videos to see it first hand, and read a few graphic heavy articles on it so I could get myself ready emotionally. I had my son watch one of the less graphic videos with me so he knew what was going to happen, and I explained it over and over. I had the older boys available to take the 4 yo into the house if needed... it wasn't. He understood it, watched, asked questions and then after a while, got bored and played in the car.... and found and ate all my candy/snack bars I had hidden in there.
wink.png

Our three year old has been around when I'm processing. I let her have the option of staying or playing outside, and she wanders at will. The only thing she now comments on is when I'm gutting in the kitchen, where she tells me it's EWWWWWW!!!....because it's smelly.
smile.png
The only thing she ever started to get upset about was being around when we started to gut a deer. last fall. She started to get upset, and I had my husband immediately pick her up and take her away and play somewhere else. I think it was the whole cutting into a large animal and the blood. However, she hung around and watched without issue when I cut the meat up. I explain what I'm doing (making food for dinner), and make sure to treat the animal and meat with respect and care.

I've been around processing animals for food since I was very small, small enough I don't remember. My parents had the same attitude - it's a time to be respectful and careful, no horsing around or being stupid or silly. It requires patience and concentration to turn a living creature into food, and absolutely no joking around is tolerated.

My kids have been around when we've been processing since the youngest was about 6 or 7. These days (they are 9 and 10 now), they help by catching birds and putting them in the cones as well as turning on water when needed and picking up feathers afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom