how do you brush a silkie?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nature nut, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I've read in posts that people brush their silkies. What do you brush them with and how often do you brush them?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I would use a soft baby brush. Not that I've raised Silkies but I think it would work.

3. nature nut

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    that's what I was wondering. Seems like a baby brush would be really gentle and something they might like. I want to say I read somewhere about using a small metal dog comb. Anybody else ever heard of what you use to brush a silkie?

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i answered your pm, but basically i use a soft toothbrush, my little mopsy is disabled and can't preen well, so i started doing it after a nasty bout with lice- i part her feathers and gently brush, you can damage the feathers so be gentle- after about 15 minutes she gets restless so i stop- they love just sitting in your lap-

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    When I get ready for shows I use a double close bristled curling brush I don't roll ther feather it's just the agles getthe feathers at different lengths! Then they get blow dried backwards, brushed and blowdried backward again then the get a little hairspray in those tricky areas not much though then some sheen spray all over!

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    oh they must be beautiful! do you have pics of them? do you use special shampoo?

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:I use a blue ribbon show shampoo along with baby shampoo so it isn't so harsh on the feathers also great for their skin! Click on my website I have a few pictures on there of them if they don't load for you let me know and I'll put some of them on here

8. nature nut

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I can't wait you guys!!! Thanks! [​IMG] I'll be trying this out tomorrow. Loved your pictures. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wait! Can't you just take them outside and shack them out the way you do any other feather duster?

Sorry mods. It's marlin's influence tonight [​IMG]

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by