How do you build...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lanissa86, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    A Coop Door! My coop that my dad and I have constructed is pretty nice, but when it comes the the door! Eww! We both had no clue how to make a good door, so we used plywood added the hinges and latch and thats all.

Well over the summer it did well but now its extremely warped! I am going to take it down because its so badly gaped at the top it does not close all the way!

So How do I make a nice Door??

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    You can always add a hatch that pulls up on the inside of the coop. It will stay dryer that way and won't be so prone to warping.

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Here is what the coop looked like when we finished building it back in April.

[​IMG]

I need a Door for it that will work, and I am not sure how I can put a hatch on something like this?? Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I can look it over and figure a way to do that...

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would put a couple coats of primer on it and a coat of paint. You need something to seal the wood too.

5. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well this pic is old. I am painting it to match the house, the coop is still in very good condition, it was just the door that got all warped. I just want to know how to build a door. But definitely going to put primer on it before putting it on the coop this time!

6. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So no one else can help with suggestions on how to build a nice sturdy door??

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I could go take some pictures of the door that my husband helped me build.

8. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh! That would be very helpful! Thanks! [​IMG]

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    sorry you haven't got many replies... I think we are all still wracking our brains for you.

I'd say painting or shellac-king several layers on whatever you use would do the trick - even if exactly the same as your last door.

Let us know....

10. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So you think putting together a few plywoods to make it thicker would work?>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by