1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you call your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wolfpacker, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    It's late here in the east and I'm ready for bed. I'll have fun reading the reponses to this tomorrow.

I walk out the back door and yell "HEY [in falsetto] CLUCK CLUCK CLUCKS!" Boy you ought to see 'em run to the near corner of their run.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here chicka chicka chickies [​IMG]

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Either "Chick Chick Chick" in falsetto
    or "Hey you chickens" not in falsetto

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  4. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    I start with "Here chick chick chick chick" but after a while, it starts to sound like a clock, (Here tick tick tick tick). If I go long enough, I imagine I sound like a watch with a megaphone on it [​IMG]

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    all i have to do is walk outside, no calling needed. they all come running!![​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

" CHICKEEENNNSSS!!!!"

or

"GOOOODDIEESS!!!!"

or

Just go outside with the silver pan of goodies...

The louder I yell though, the faster they come running :p

7. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    ha, ha, ha I have three embden geese, so I yell here geese, geese, geese, and the geese, chickens, ducks, and guineas all come running. it looks like a poultry stampede [​IMG]

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I just say Hey Ladies! they come running or if they hear the screen door slam I don't have to say a word they are already half way there.

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I wasnt having any luck whatsoever in callin my chickens, so I started doing that horse clucking thing when you want them to go, you know the tongue in side of cheek? I did it every time I fed them a goodie, so now...lil feet pound when I do it, its so cute!

They KNOW to respond to that one ...! Easier than hollering!

10. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Mine cme running to the sound of their feed being poured into the metal feeders. They hear this and its like a stampeed of chickens racing to get to the feeders first. Not like I am stingy but they seem to think that the best parts are for who ever gets there first. If They know I dont have food I could stand out there all day and call and they would all look at me like I am nuts from a good distance away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by