How do you catch a chicken or duck???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mhhousley, Oct 1, 2011.

1. mhhousley

mhhousley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    Okay, so I never spent enough time to make my chickens tame. However, they will eat bread (reluctantly) out of your hand and my 3 yr old can walk right up to the hens, but I cant actually grab them. I need to catch them to dust them, look them over, etc. I can always grab them at night but thats usually not the best time to try to be able to see what you're doing.

How do you catch a chicken. I heard of a stick with a hook or something before that you catch them by their feet. I was thinking maybe just like a fishing net or something. I want to know the best way to catch them and not harm them at the same time or absolutely wreck their nerves.

Thanks!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    If I need to catch my ducks I herd them into a corner and just pick them up. It also works with my chickens who don't like to be caught. If they are free ranging I would use a net. Mine are in a 2 acre fences yard, so I just go out with my kids and have them help corner them.

3. mhhousley

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    Quote:I do corner them! But then they jump and fly away. Sometimes I can catch them and sometimes I don't. Either way, they run and fly violently when cornered and sometimes get their head stuck in the fencing. I'm afraid I'm going to injure them trying to catch them.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What I do to catch everyone to dust them is open the coop door a little IN THE MORNING, grab one, and close the door again. Dust that one, and then grab the next one. Eventually to get all of them I have to go inside the coop and get the stragglers.

Alternatively, I use a long-handed fishing net to catch them if they are already out.

5. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    :lol:When I need to catch them I use a fish net.It doesn't hurt them and it beats trying to catch them with your hands.[​IMG]

6. mhhousley

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    Quote:I think thats what I'll try. I'll look at them at walmart. I assume their fairly inexpensive.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm glad I have power in the coop, partly for this reason, it's certainly the best time to handle them, and I feel like it stresses them the least. I'd recruit a helper to hold a good light if I didn't. We have caught them with a long handled fish net but it can be a chase. There's a long pole with a sort of hook on the end of it, an old fashioned method, but it takes a little practice, I've read. Here's one:

http://www.randallburkey.com/Catching-Nets-Hooks/products/167/

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    The best way is to do it once they go roost at night!!

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Every chicken owner needs a large fishing net.[​IMG]

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

One of our first (and most coveted) purchases when first acquiring chickens. That thing is worth its weight in gold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by