how do you catch a weasel?

Good luck! Hope you catch him
smile.png

Thank you. He didn't show up yesterday after setting the traps. He's sly, as they are. I got eggs yesterday anyway!!

I haven't let up on him. I think he laid low yesterday because of the trap setting etc. He's sly. I've caught fox, and house cats and have only lost one chicken so far to this guy. He likes my eggs though. I was only getting 6-7 eggs a day with 30 hens. Now I'm gathering eggs every hour or so and production has picked up drastically. NOW, I just need him!!

He's sly.

Indeed. There's a reason why the word "weasel" has come to mean a sly, predatory person.

You may never catch him. I had a weasel last year (that I ended up beating off a drake with an ice scraper) but once I called trappers out to get him he vanished. We've seen tracks again this year but because I once again invited people to trap, he ran off.

So you're right (in my limited experience), just the act of trying to set traps on their highways actually scares them off. Smart little expletives.

In other words, even if you don't catch him, still continue to dork up his running lanes. I will say (again, not set in stone just my experience, and my area may be different from yours) once spring turns to summer and food is more plentiful he left my birds alone.

He killed a baby chicken this after noon. I had 6 in a little pen and he killed 1, the others scattered through the little bars and was outside when I went to the hen house. Blood had not congealed yet. I just missed him.

Consider yourselves lucky....we started to get our dozen or so chickens up and running (after getting them day-olds, they took a while to start laying), and had about dozen indian runner ducks/muskovy ducks. We left one day with them outside as we did chores around the house. Came back to check on them less than an hour later, and found all them dead. Many of their heads were missing, and something had tried to pull them THROUGH the fence we had. Still havnt caught the bugger. Just got a live trap, and gonna tie some sausage to the back of it, hope it works. Let me know if you have any better bait.

Back
Top Bottom