HOW do you catch an egg eater ? ? ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by math ace, Feb 9, 2011.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    One of my hens has become an egg eater. She seems to have a preference for my white leghorn eggs. [​IMG]

I want to identify who has turned naughty - - -VERY NAUGHTY!

Any suggestions on how to do this? ? ?

I separated 2 of the hens out of the flock today. I thought they might be one of the guilty ones, but someone else did the eating today!
    I REALLY need to figure out [​IMG] which hen(s) is doing this [​IMG]

PLEASE post your suggestions!

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Never had to deal with it, but I've heard of people cracking an egg open carefully, filling it with something, and then carefully sealing it back up with wax. They put it in the coop and wait. Some of the 'fillings' seemed iffy, but bright colored jello would probably work.

3. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    These are some suggestions. Clean egg out and fill they say withbhot sauce, mustard, or I also heard jello to see who has color on their beaks

What I also did was lay an egg out in the open where the girls can seer it and watch which one goes after it. Good luck. They are very hard to break once started.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Thanks. .. . . I 'll try the "out in the open" first and then maybe the mustard filled egg. [​IMG]

Normally, my girls get to free range for part of the day. However, the last 4 out of 5 days were Big Raining Days. .. . I am just wondering if being kept caged all day drove somebody into being naughty. . . . [​IMG]

I just want to catch and remove [​IMG] the naughty one [​IMG] BEFORE she teaches everyone else her new little trick!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You could try putting some golf balls or ceramic eggs in the nest so when they try to peck them, they get nothing.

Hot sauce won't work, chickens don't have capsasin receptors, so they can't taste it. Thats why you can add cayanne pepper to halp boost egg laying (idk how it works) or help deworm. You can also put it in wild bird feeders to keep squirrels out.

I would try blue jello with some extra food coloring. You can poke a hole in an egg, fill it up, and then cover the hole over with wax. They might not do it while you're out there, so you could try looking out a window, or using a nanny cam.

Hope you find your egg eater

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by