how do you clean a chicken coop?

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
looking for ideas of how to clean the coop -
currently:
my coop is on dirt (hoping to change to cement floor this year)
use deep litter method - stir up weekly
use poop tray under roosting poles to keep floor area cleaner
clean/empty poop trays 1x month
nesting boxe litter changed every 6-8 weeks
use DE on roosting poles/large branches

i keep thinking there is a "proper" way and not sure if i'm doing it.
ideas?

I dont know if there is a "proper way" to clean a coop in all honesty but here's what I do:

Rake the coop every other day (they have a dirt floor plus play sand).

Add DE once a week (as needed) to the sand to help with smell and dry the droppings out, help with mites, bugs, etc.

Rake the dropping board every morning, then stir the shavings underneath up to mix in the droppings so they can dry (also have DE in the shavings under the dropping board)

Add a few handfuls of new pine shavings once a week to main coop floor and nesting boxes (and it has DE in there as well) and mix them up (I too use DLM).

Sanitize their food and water bowls twice a week, but wash them every day to keep them clean and healthy.

Change the litter completely in the coop/nesting box about 2-3 months or so (or as needed) even using DLM because they tend to get it a bit stinky and I dont like all the DE and dust when they fluff and scratch. I sanitize completely each time I do this inside the coop to ensure I get everything clean (my entire coop comes apart).

In the spring/summer - the girls sleep outside on their outdoor roosts, so I also clean those as needed and wipe them down.

You clean it whatever way works for you
smile.png
REally, there is no right and wrong. There are a zillion ways to do it, each appropriate in its own situation.

So, pick something that seems sensible. Do it. Did you like it? Keep doing it. Think it needs to be done differently next time? Do it differently next time, see how that works for you. Lather rinse repeat til you find you've settled into a routine that works for you
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

DE is Diatomatious Earth and it's a fine white powder that will help control mites, bugs, worms and keep things dry for you. Don't confuse it with regular DE sold at the pool stores. The kind you are looking for you can find at Custommilling.com and its wonderful stuff!
big_smile.png
Most of us use it here I think.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom