1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you clean a coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mystery Peepers, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Mystery Peepers

Mystery Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I hav six mystery chicks we got for easter! We've had a little experience before with chickens, but it work too well. Now, we want to do it the right way. I understand you have to clean their coop once a week or so. But, my mother remembers from the last time we had chickens of something called Histoplasmosis. It's a fungul infection that occurs when you stir up dried chicken poop? Has anybody had this? What precautions do you take to clean your coop? My mother is worried so she dosen't want me near the coop, but I know that some people on this forum talk about actually going inside their coops! If any body has any advice I would greatly appreciate it! [​IMG]

- Mystery Peepers

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I just cleaned my coop yesterday....In good health myself [​IMG]
    Alive atleast [​IMG]

I really thought about wearing one of those face masks yesterday cause it stirred up alot of dust...and poo im sure.

If your mother is scared just wear rubber gloves face mask long sleeves and jeans..
    I think youll be ok [​IMG]

3. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

There are a number of ways to clean out your coop. As far as going inside the coop, I believe most people on here go inside their coop - myself included. There is a method called the deep litter method that describes how to put wood shavings in the coop and not have to clean it out on a weekly basis, some people don't clean it out for 3-6 months.

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    [​IMG]
    I haven't done anything special except wash hands after handling or cleaning
    hope I don't get sick

just teasing -
    you can get the mask that way you don't breath in any dust

i recommend deep litter method

[​IMG]

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    There are areas where hystoplasmosis is more common (here where I am in IN for instance). Taking precautions such as wearing a face mask is a good idea especially if you have lung related issues. A little girl in my mom's class had it last year and it really took a toll on her.

6. Mystery Peepers

Mystery Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks soooo much!![​IMG]

Now I've heard about the deep litter method, but how exactly are you supposed to go about doin' it? Our coop is small and sits on the ground, I can't walk around in it or even get inside. [​IMG] Will this method work for me? Or do I need a bigger coop?

-Mystery Peepers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by