How do you cull free range hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by West Central MO, Jan 29, 2009.

1. West Central MO

West Central MO Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    I have a flock of around 50 brown egg hens that are free range and just wondered how some of you know how to cull your hens that are not as good at producing. I dont spend much time with them and just collect the eggs twice daily, so I have no idea which ones lay/don't lay. Do you cull based on physical conformations such as bright combs, legs, moist vent etc....
    I have read after about 90 weeks production starts falling and I want to only feed those hens that keep production up....
    Also what hatcheries have you had the best luck in obtaining good production stock from - I have no interest in showing....only producing.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    From what I understand, people with flocks like yours cull the entire thing every year & start fresh with new laying pullets.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    [​IMG] from Kansas [​IMG]
    We are kind of doing the same thing. I plan to get leg bands so I know who is who. We are going to rotate and take the 1-1/2 or so old hens to the sale barn. As long as I have enough eggs for my family and special neighbors I'm good. The rest will go.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    you might do a search on trap nests. That way you will know for sure who is laying.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Good Link!! THANKS!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by