How do you deal with having multiple drakes?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I know drakes can be violent towards the hens and that worries me. I’m not quite sure yet if i have any drakes or how many i have if i have any. I was thinking that maybe I need to build a separate coop for the drakes, but would that work? I’m outside with my 6 week old pekin ducklings most of the time to keep an eye on them and I worry that the drakes (again, i’m not sure if i have any drakes yet) will try to hurt them in their coop when I’m asleep or away somewhere. I have no intention of selling them or eating them, but I do want the hens to be protected from violent drakes. How can I ensure that my hens will be protected by drakes? Do I build a separate coop for the drakes?

I have no intention of selling them or eating them,
If you encounter fighting, then you will have to build a separate facility.
Are you only refering to the 6 week old ones, ,,,,,,,,,,, or do you have older ducks also that you are not sure of.???
Generally, if the ducklings do grow up together, then they usually get along. When you have too many drakes, then when your hens do reach mature age,,,,, they may be overbred. Resulting in hurt ducks then.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Ok so first of all we have to figure out how many boys vs girls you have. Do you know how to tell by their voice? The girls will quack really loud and the boys will do more of a whisper froggy type noise. You should be able to tell by now.
I’ve noticed some of them quacking. Some of the others, not so much bc they still seem to chirp or sometimes their voices sound a little like a frog. I think I have about 3 or 4 hens.

I’ve noticed some of them quacking. Some of the others, not so much bc they still seem to chirp or sometimes their voices sound a little like a frog. I think I have about 3 or 4 hens.
right now you are probably ok for a bit. I wouldn't even worry right now, in fact, I'd say you are probably ok until next spring. where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom