How do you deal with your addiction?

I'm hopelessly addicted. I suspect the first seed (or egg) was planted when I was 5 years old and staying with my great grandparents. Finding eggs was like the biggest rush and I never got over it, even after I went alone and got flogged by a rooster twice my size. Then I lived in Argentina for a while and there were chickens at or near every house I lived. Then a couple of years later in Egypt, there was a donkey at one end of my street and a rooster at the other end. The rooster would crow and the donkey would bray back and forth trying to out-do each other. They'd go at it for the better part of an hour and then retire until reveille the next morning. My day didn't begin until after their serenade. Then a friend in Virginia gave me a couple of black and gold hens that laid pink eggs. Reba and Sally followed me around like puppies.

After I moved here, I found a farmer who sold me some hens and now I go out back and watch them when I come home from work. I'm teaching them to do tricks using dog kibbles as treats. They'll do anything if there's a dog kibble involved. You don't ordinarily think of buff orpingtons as athletes, but they will jump really high to grab that kibble. They can also run pretty fast if they get a treat they don't want to share. My chickens love to be fed by hand, even when their can is full. I can lose hours just watching them do their chicken zen thing. I can't figure out what breeds most of them are. They don't really look all that much like chickens and they don't really sound all that much like chickens, but they lay eggs like crazy.

Next year I hope to build a higher fence around my dog run and move my coop out there. More room, more chickens. I'd like to try raising some pure bred hens. What can I say? I'm an addict.

But it gets worse. A few months ago in a second hand store, I found a ceramic chicken dressed as a bellydancer: green harem pants, a pink bow over one eye, two daisies on her chest, a hip belt patterned like a picket fence and painted toenails. Combines 2 of my most favorite things in the world. One of them is better exercise, as much as I hate to admit it.

I followed the simple 12 step program>>>>

1. Put the incubator up (the wife hide it)

2. Stopped ordering baby chicks. (this was the hardest)

3. Stopped bringing home baby chicks from auctions.

4. Stopped taking baby chicks from friends.

5. Made sure the broodies had "just a few" eggs.

6. Threw the broodies out of the nesting boxes. This got to be
a severe problem and really became a nightmare of a mess.
Anyone that has been through this knows what I speak of.

7. Collected eggs religiously every day, even if i had to put them
in a basket in the barn overnight or for a day. This seems to be the
best way for "chicken birth control"

8. If a broody went too long and the eggs were dirty and stinky that bird lost. I took the eggs and destroyed them.

9. All broodies that hatch out were/are put in the nursery with their chicks. This way there was only "so much room"

10. Moms are their babies go to the barn at age 3 to 4 weeks.
I have not had a problem with mortallity. Unless no mama hens with babies are behind them, they do stay in the nursery longer.

11. I have cut down on the number of roosters. I keep the gentle and watchful ones. The rapist and jerks get rehomed.

12. I have promised myself, my wife and the Guineas that I will stick to this no matter what. I generally get about 5-10 babies a month from the barn flock. Some of them are pretty darn interesting looking.

I love baby chicks. But, watching the natural process with hens becoming mothers is really the coolest.

Quote:
lau.gif
I've never thought of it that way. Do they get rehomed to a giant stew pot?

Lovin, I hope you didn't buy from the guy that was selling sick americauna's, but just in case, keep your new ones isolated from the rest of your flock. There were some gorgeous birds there yesterday, alot of breeds I had seen pics of online, but never in person. I got 5 silkie babies and 2 bunnies. It was such a hard choice to make. There were some gorgeous OEGBs in such great colors, and PeepsInc cochins, and buttons, and, and, lol so many choices.

How do I deal with my addiction? Feed it of course. Hatched 13, have a broody on 17 more, bought 5 yesterday, and looking for what I can stick in the incubator next
ya.gif
. I'm on a 1/4 acre, have to get full sometime, right? I'll quit adding then
lau.gif

I agree I feed my addiction thats how I deal with it
big_smile.png
Altho I must say having 9 broodies at the same time is NOT FUN! They have left me no other choice but to let them raise their babies with the flock, no nursery for them unless its a rubbermaid tote to get them thru the first few days while they gain their strength. Grand total here is 51 and counting on an acre. I had a chicken sitter for the first time over the weekend so I could go to my brothers wedding and I tell ya I was worried sick about them and called to check on them several times. When I came back I had several new chicks from under the broodies. While I was out there I was stalking peoples yards looking to see if they too had chickens and what kinds
lau.gif

If I saw a fresh egg sign I Had a hard time not stopping in to see what they had..... Hubby is sooo frusterated but when I am the one paying for them and caring for them there isn't much he can say to stop me lol.

Quote:
Ok I have them isolated in a spare kennel but now you have me paranoid? Which one was selling sick ones? Sick how?? I'm fairly new to this...

I'm so adicted that I go to every Swap Meet I can. We are going to host a Swap Meet in January. I'm so excited to see all the different birds. I want more...

I don't have chickens right now. I got out when I moved into town three years ago. But it's hopeless. It's totally hopeless. I'm busy building a little chicken tractor, window shopping banties, makin' plans, looking at equipment and catalogs, obsessing. . . .

gosh, I hate it, doncha know.

darn THE NEIGHBORS!!!!! FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom