How do you deal with your trampled grazing space?

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
I sowed a lawn for my two boys last summer and it was a nice lush green - Goose poop turned it patchy but still grazable and now a mixture of bad weather, rain and grazing has turned it into a grassless swamp.

Do you guys re-seed your lawns each year?

My lawn mostly comes back in spring all by itself. I may have to reseed a patch or two, but only in the places where I'm losing my constant fight against the daisy weeds. Winter takes its toll on the grass, with the geese trampling it, the rain and the snow, mud everywhere, and the grass not growing due to the cold.

But the roots must be snug there deep down underground, cause every year when I've just about given up on it ever becoming a lawn again, and when any tiny little green sprout that dares peek up is immediately being devoured by a grass-famined goose, then lo and behold: a couple of days with warm weather and the geese struggle to keep the lawn mowed.

How big is their pasture? Grass needs to become established before it can be grazed. There is nothing for them currently to eat and all they are doing is trampling and damaging the plants. Get them off of it and keep them off until you have 4-5 inches of growth. 5 months easy. If the ground is wet and muddy, keep them up. They can do more damage in one afternoon then can be undone in 6 weeks. Buy them hay to replace the grass. They will like one variety over others. You just have to test it. Mine usually prefer a nice tender 2nd cutting grass alfalfa but beggars can't be choosers.

You’re just going to have to keep replanting in your back garden, some will come back but you’ll have to add more. I don’t have an issue as much because mine have two sizable pasture/ lawns they roam between while out and about so they don’t get a lot of ware, there are a few areas that get more foot traffic that I do need to replant.grass is a little more permanent if it’s established, but there’s not much you can do about that if you don’t have the time or room to let the area sit.

When you do replant you might consider adding clover to it also, the geese might eat it down as soon as it sprouts but it’s a great treat.

Definitely reseeding this year. Starting in February our babes will be stuck in their pen until I can get the yard recovered from all their noodling/rooting around. It's rained probably 3-4 days a week since winter really started and it's been awful with all the clay in our soil.

I've got about 300 square foot of space for them in my back garden which is all trampled into mud at the moment, with maybe a few sprigs of green here and there i'm having to supplement them with much more pellets over winter; Hoping it would grow back nicely by next spring.

Back
Top Bottom