How do you distinguish the chickens? How do you label them?

WOAH.. wait a minute... zipties have sharp edges (90 degree angles) they would NOT be comfortable.... and they have the danger of becoming tighter and tighter.. and could rub and cause sores... i would NOT use them..

bird colored leg bands are MADE for birds like chickens, and have been used for a long time without ill effects, with ROUND "edges".no sharp points AND are flexable and wont tighten.. jjeeezzzz dont be CHEAP.. get the leg bands MADE for the birds..
jody....thanks for the web-site since i have so many birds now, i want to start marking them..

Mine are all named, but I only have 8 total. I look at combs, feet and overall size. There's #2 (who is actually the number one hen), Big Fat Hen (she started off as the #1 hen), #4, #6, Little Girl, Little Bit (who's every bit as big as big fat hen at 6.5 pounds), Whitey and Peanut. The 6 BO's all have different personalities. #4 and Little Girl always feed from my hand. #6 always looks like she's ready to rumble (and she does). #2 has the most combs and wattles and keeps everyone in line. Big fat hen is the biggest pig. Whitey and Peanut are OEG's. Peanut is very friendly. Whitey likes to pick fights she always looses and makes the most noise.

I guess it would get harder with a larger flock.

Back
Top Bottom