how do you fatten up Guineas?

cream puff

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
I bought 6 guinea fowl last summer, 3 boys and 3 girls, two died. The remaining four bred like rabbits. One guinea went broody and turned up in the yard with 19!!!! chicks, 16 of which lived and are driving me nuts. Not to be outdone the other guinea decided to go broody and she turned up with 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now I have 16 adolescents and 10 little chicks, some I sold, some got sick because I didn't use medicated feed, and a raven got one of the white ones. No one else seems to want any guinea fowl. So what am I going to do with 30 guinea fowl? I thought it would be no problem guineas aren't supposed to go broody and are reported to be terrible mothers. These ones were amazing mothers and even the males took part in raising the chicks, heck they were so adorable that my bantam Salmon Faverolle roo helped out too! There must be estrogen in the water.

Sadly since we have to move and there is no way my neighbors would let me live with 30 guinea fowl running around the neighborhood "buckweatting" and screeching at everybody, I will have to put them in the freezer.

Anyone ever processed guineas? Or anyone know how I can fatten them up? What kind of feed is a good fattener?

Back
Top Bottom