How do you feed chicks that are hatched from a hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken 86, Aug 19, 2011.

1. chicken 86

chicken 86 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    If your hen hatches chicks, how do you feed them? Chicks are suppost to have chick feed, so if the mom hen eats regular, is it okay for the chicks to eat regular feed? Or do they get fed regurgitated food like birds or something?

Sorry I'm new to all this [​IMG]

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    it wouldn't hurt to put some chick start down, but the mom should do the work.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I jus feed the mom and chicks chick feed, u want the chick/s to have the right amount of nutrition [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Chick starter is fine for both chicks and mom. When you integrate them back into the flock, you can switch to a general flock ration and offer oyster shell free choice for your laying hen's calcium needs.

5. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    Ditto ! [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I feed everyone - mama hen, chicks, roosters and other adult birds - flockraiser. It is appropriate for chicks and doesn't have the added calcium that roosters don't need. It makes daily feeding very easy.

7. Horsea

Horsea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
    I am wondering what mother hens fed their chicks when they ran away from the flock to lay eggs and have their chicks in some cozy spot away from her usual chicken house? Does anyone know? I have been told of this happening. The chicks didn't keel over dead; they were eating something and growing up.

I have one broody hen who just finished hatching a chick and I cannot afford the money to buy an entire bag of chick starter. What on earth should I give the chick?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:As I posted earlier, my broodies start bringing their chicks outside around three days old and teach them what's good to eat - grains, grasses, bugs, etc., as well as showing them where to get grit for digestion. Just as a rooster makes clucking noises to call his hens to eat things he's found for them, so do the broody mamas. Chicks can survive their first three days of life without food. They survive on the absorbed egg yolk. I think this is why my broodies always bring the chicks out by day 3. They are very instinctive about raising their chicks, knowing just what to do and when.

Your chick is going to need appropriate foods, what mama can scare up while free ranging (if you do) and an appropriate commercial feed while they get the hang of foraging. Small bags of chick starter are available at places like Tractor Supply and Atwoods.

9. Horsea

Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks for your thorough and helpful reply.

10. Horsea

Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
    I do know, however, that my grandparents, born in the late 19th century and living in the sticks away from any source of prepackaged chick food, kept chickens through broody hens. My late parents and aunts and uncles told me this. I am wondering how they survived without a complete, scientific bagged feed. Anybody know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by