how do you feed egg shells to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by backdoorchicken, Sep 4, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    do you just throw the egg shells in the run and let them pick at them or do you need to break them up?

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I grind em up to bite sized pieces and mix in feed. I suposed you don't have to, they will just pick at them. I think if they don't look like egg shells then the hens won't take to eating eggs before I get them collected. Could be wrong - God knows I can't seem to be right today - but that's my theory.

3. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    Quote:that's a good theory. i will break them in tiny pieces.

4. fuzidragonbunnie

fuzidragonbunnie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Pahrump
    We cook the shells first (i put them in water and let it come to a boil so it tastes more like cooked eggs, then after letting them dry, crush them and feed with whatever is with their next meal.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I bake them and then grind them up. Or I blend up the egg with the shells and scramble them and they love it.

Mine will not eat oyster shell, so I have to give them egg shell.

6. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    When I was doing wildlife rehab (backyard wild birds mostly), our wildlife vet told us that egg shells are not as readily absorbed for calcium raw. They need to be baked or boiled for the calcium to be released.

Just a tidbit, FYI...[​IMG]

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have a tin-foil disposable pan that I use over and over. I bake the shells (burned them once, [​IMG]) then I put the them in an empty ceral box to crush. I was using potato chip bags but the shells poked through and OUCH! Then I put them in with the oyster shells.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  8. BJ_BOBBI_JO

BJ_BOBBI_JO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2007
    North East Indiana
    I just kind of let them dry a little bit and then put them in a plastic bag and crush them up to thrown in with the feed to give the chickens.

9. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Hello [​IMG]
    I have heard that you are meant to bake them until they are brown and crunchy.
    So my plan is to put them in the oven next time I do a baked potato (On the other shelf) and then crunch them up.
    Like the idea of using an aluminium tray - Thanks for that [​IMG]

I also give the eggshells to my wild birds: I make fat balls for them and add egg shells, sultanas, peanut butter and oatmeal as well as sunflower seeds and whatever birdseed is on special offer

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I rinse, dry, cook in microwave for a bit, crush, and feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by