1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you feed mash?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maggiePI, May 3, 2007.

1. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    I have been feeding my hens a variety of foods but have never figured how to make mash. Do you feed it moistened with water? How wet? That is how I have done it to make a soft crumbley texture but they don't eat it. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Wait until the winter and use warm water. That will get them started on it!

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I don't use mash, its too messy and there is a lot of waste. I use crumbles instead. Once in a while the feed store is out of crumbles, I then use mash and just feed it dry in the feeder. I you add water too it it spoils quickly.

4. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

I boil up kitchen scraps - potato peelings, vegetable waste, bones etc - and mix it with the mash. It helps sop up the water and it makes it a bit more interesting. It should be just crumbly - drain off some of the water before you start and add it back if you need to! [​IMG]

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We mix the layer mash with buttermilk, milk, or plain yogurt w/active cultures. We've also used home-canned (organic salt-free) creamed corn (winter) or tomatoes (warm weather) pureed in the blender in a pinch.

You don't want the mash too wet, so just add a small bit at a time. You just want the mixture to hold together so it gets crumbley. In the winter, we warm the liquid a bit before mixing.

regards,
    keljonma

if edited, probably for typos....

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    Thank you. I just have mash because at times our locally made crumbles have a lot of crushed particles. I have mixed with warm water and they weren't too excited and preferred to scratch around. I will try adding some other stuff, vegies or yogurt or maybe buttermilk. Thank you all for your answers. I appreciate it. I will try to get a bit more creative. I think my girls are spoiled by being out and about so they are more picky than if they didn't get to free range . suzanna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by