How do you feed mash?

maggiePI

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
S. Oregon
I have been feeding my hens a variety of foods but have never figured how to make mash. Do you feed it moistened with water? How wet? That is how I have done it to make a soft crumbley texture but they don't eat it.
hmm.png

I don't use mash, its too messy and there is a lot of waste. I use crumbles instead. Once in a while the feed store is out of crumbles, I then use mash and just feed it dry in the feeder. I you add water too it it spoils quickly.

I boil up kitchen scraps - potato peelings, vegetable waste, bones etc - and mix it with the mash. It helps sop up the water and it makes it a bit more interesting. It should be just crumbly - drain off some of the water before you start and add it back if you need to!
tongue.png

We mix the layer mash with buttermilk, milk, or plain yogurt w/active cultures. We've also used home-canned (organic salt-free) creamed corn (winter) or tomatoes (warm weather) pureed in the blender in a pinch.

You don't want the mash too wet, so just add a small bit at a time. You just want the mixture to hold together so it gets crumbley. In the winter, we warm the liquid a bit before mixing.

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos....

Last edited:
Thank you. I just have mash because at times our locally made crumbles have a lot of crushed particles. I have mixed with warm water and they weren't too excited and preferred to scratch around. I will try adding some other stuff, vegies or yogurt or maybe buttermilk. Thank you all for your answers. I appreciate it. I will try to get a bit more creative. I think my girls are spoiled by being out and about so they are more picky than if they didn't get to free range . suzanna

Back
Top Bottom