1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you get a frizzle?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by asorensen, Mar 27, 2011.

1. asorensen

asorensen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Milton, Florida
    I was told to breed a Cochin to a Silkie and you would get a frizzle. But the more I read on here it sounds like a frizzle is a breed of its own and that you have to have a frizzle to make more frizzles. Can someone enlighten me further on how this works? In English please as I have not learned how all of the genetics work. LOL

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    frizzle is not a breed. It is a variety formed by a genetic oopsie. Yes, you have to have a frizzle to make more frizzles. However, I have no clue how the frizzle appears initially.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    A Frizzled Cochin gives you Frizzled Cochins, there is no Silkie involved. However, breeding a Frizzled Cochin to a Silkie does give you Sizzles (birds with Frizzled feathers and Silkie type), maybe that's what your source was thinking about?

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Here's how you get a frizzle: Come to my house. I have a 6-week-old bantam frizzle cockerel looking for a new home (I have two, only need one).

His name is Roy, but you can call him whatever you like. LOL.

5. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
  6. asorensen

asorensen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:The only problem is that would be a very long drive from Florida to pick up a chicken...LOL But I am sure he is beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by