How do you get hens to use nesting boxes?

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hi everyone,my hens just started laying,i have 22 layers. My trouble is they wont lay in there nesting boxes. My little daughter and i painted two fake brown eggs and one fake white egg and placed them in the boxes to coax the hens but no avail. They keep laying in the corner of a shelf in the coop. My question is how do i get them to lay in te nesting boxes? Thank yo for your time

Hens will lay where they are most comfortable. They generally prefer a dark secluded corner. You might have to move their nest boxes if possible or do something to make them darker so the girls feel more secluded. You can also place golf balls in the nests to encourage them but look first at why they don't like the boxes where they are.

I wonder if i can block off the section there laying now and give them only a choice to use nesting boxes?

I use golf balls.. I have several girls now of different ages and added a second nest box. they used them both for oh about 3 days then the new girls decided that the first flocks box was better and now they only use the one.. soooo funny.. they wait in line to use the box. all ornry and squaking if someone takes too long.. and if they feel really in need they will go in the box with the laying hen and lay with her with the first hen growling and mad as ,, well a wet hen.. haha..
D.gif

)O(
Pink

I had golf balls in my nest till yesterday. The wife came home with wooden eggs for the nest. They look so good I thought I might try it.
smile.png
I'll here in the next few day how it works.

But I have this on hen that just didn't want to use the nest. Yesterday she back to her 'chosen' spot. I waited a few minutes and got her and put her in the coop and shut the door. She went right in a nest a did her business. We'll see today if she learned anything.

put them in a cage where the ur chosen nest is then they will be forced to lay there and make it as comfotable as possble when they lay there for at least 3 days they shud have learnt to lay there and u noe where they are laying, so why does it matter let them lay there. theres also a higher chnace for the hen to go broody because its her nest that she has chosen if thats wat i want

Back
Top Bottom