How do you get into showing chickens?

You should always start out with the best animals you can afford. If hatchery birds is all you can afford it will take you a lot longer to get to your goal. If you can find a breeder ( going to shows does help to meet people).. maybe he will sell you some cheap or even free to get you started as a young person. Obtaining a copy of the standard for your breed is important and having someone who knows about the breed who is willing to support you is also important. I do understand that is not always possible.
And then showing your birds and talking to the judge to get information what he saw wrong and what was good. What to look out for in the future.
I have been breeding for show for 3 years now and boy that learning curve is steep.
This is a fantastic group for breeders https://www.facebook.com/groups/354973752688125

You should always start out with the best animals you can afford. If hatchery birds is all you can afford it will take you a lot longer to get to your goal. If you can find a breeder ( going to shows does help to meet people).. maybe he will sell you some cheap or even free to get you started as a young person. Obtaining a copy of the standard for your breed is important and having someone who knows about the breed who is willing to support you is also important. I do understand that is not always possible.
And then showing your birds and talking to the judge to get information what he saw wrong and what was good. What to look out for in the future.
I have been breeding for show for 3 years now and boy that learning curve is steep.
This is a fantastic group for breeders https://www.facebook.com/groups/354973752688125
Thank you! I made sure to join the group. I think at this point, i’m good on not using hatcheries. I’ve contacted several breeders who breed to standard, and the breed i’m looking for- Bantam blue wheaten ameraucanas- doesn’t seem to be available in hatcheries. I’m not sure how to get a copy of the standard of perfection right now, but other than that, I’m planning on visiting a show in October, seeing how it works and such.

Thank you! I made sure to join the group. I think at this point, i’m good on not using hatcheries. I’ve contacted several breeders who breed to standard, and the breed i’m looking for- Bantam blue wheaten ameraucanas- doesn’t seem to be available in hatcheries. I’m not sure how to get a copy of the standard of perfection right now, but other than that, I’m planning on visiting a show in October, seeing how it works and such.
You can purchase the current book from the American Poultry Association.

What state are you from? I could help you find a breeder? The expense is worth it since good birds give you a leg up, and the distance you may have to drive is worth it too.

What state are you from? I could help you find a breeder? The expense is worth it since good birds give you a leg up, and the distance you may have to drive is worth it too.
I’m in Florida. I’ve started to try and find breeders myself. I haven’t found any in state, but have contacted several out of state breeders who sell hatching eggs. Most have been off of ameraucana alliance or ameraucana breeders club, so i’m hoping that attributes to good quality.

I am sorry if this isn’t the right place for this thread, but I am curious.
I am a minor and struggle to make connections and get out of the house, but I really enjoy chickens and domestic birds, and would I think breeding and showing birds would be a good way to get out, and see more of the chicken-owning world. How do I get into it?
Most of my current flock is mixed, hatchery quality and mutts, and unfortunately my turkeys are also hatchery quality, and not up to the standard of perfection.
I feel like i’m repeating myself, but what is the best way to get into it? It would be easier to select a single chicken breed to show, correct? Before I get into it, is there anything I should do? Buy a copy of the standard of perfection? Should I visit shows beforehand to see how they operate?
you are not saying where you are in the world.
Where I live the County Fair has competitions for kids for raising poultry.
As I read the entry form, they are supplying the participant with young birds/chicks.

You can also check out 4H clubs and see if there are any shows in your area.
the one club organizing shows (as far as I could find) is only doing shows for Bantams though.
you have to consider that taking a bird to events does open it up to contracting illnesses and bringing them back to your flock.
Your best bet is to find folks who are active in the show circuit and pick their brains.
They can give you pointers (and likely will be thrilled to find young blood to take up the hobby!)

you are not saying where you are in the world.
Where I live the County Fair has competitions for kids for raising poultry.
As I read the entry form, they are supplying the participant with young birds/chicks.

You can also check out 4H clubs and see if there are any shows in your area.
the one club organizing shows (as far as I could find) is only doing shows for Bantams though.
you have to consider that taking a bird to events does open it up to contracting illnesses and bringing them back to your flock.
Your best bet is to find folks who are active in the show circuit and pick their brains.
They can give you pointers (and likely will be thrilled to find young blood to take up the hobby!)
My apologies, I didn’t realize it would be necessary to state where I was because when I made the thread I was looking for general tips on how to show birds, take care of them, etc. I am in Florida, marion county, if that’s helpful and specific enough.
I’ve been looking up clubs, I haven’t really checked 4-H yet. I have a show i’m planning to visit on the 22nd of this month, so i’m hoping to see how shows go and speak to some breeders there.

My apologies, I didn’t realize it would be necessary to state where I was because when I made the thread I was looking for general tips on how to show birds, take care of them, etc. I am in Florida, marion county, if that’s helpful and specific enough.
I’ve been looking up clubs, I haven’t really checked 4-H yet. I have a show i’m planning to visit on the 22nd of this month, so i’m hoping to see how shows go and speak to some breeders there.
I could have read through the thread as well, then I would have seen the addition of your location. What I get for jumping the gun.
I had (very briefly) looked into showing - I want to support our county fair - but found they are really more geared toward kids, and the club is only interested in Bantam type poultry.
It is a start though.

I would be surprised if the breeders would not be excited to share their knowledge with you! (Just keep in mind that show folk are a special breed of people! You think some of the BYC members are excentric with their flock.....I think you will find some new extremes! ;) )

I could have read through the thread as well, then I would have seen the addition of your location. What I get for jumping the gun.
I had (very briefly) looked into showing - I want to support our county fair - but found they are really more geared toward kids, and the club is only interested in Bantam type poultry.
It is a start though.

I would be surprised if the breeders would not be excited to share their knowledge with you! (Just keep in mind that show folk are a special breed of people! You think some of the BYC members are excentric with their flock.....I think you will find some new extremes! ;) )
Maybe we are special, but I’ve been to cat and heard of a poultryman’s experience in rabbit shows. A cat person said “I’m going to go to the litterbox.”
The rabbit folks whisper. Absolute, creepy silence in the showhall. Until a rabbit screams. That said, when I was at a rabbit show I just thought it was crowded.
Meanwhile us poultry poultry folks are just loud and deaf. Nothing weird about that, considering all the geese and call ducks that assault our poor ears.
That said, Silkie folks are basically cat people that should have bred a cat but instead bred a chicken to look like a cat but will never be quite like one, and Serama folks are people who should have showed pigeons but brought chickens instead. Those folks are pretty strange sometimes.

Maybe we are special, but I’ve been to cat and heard of a poultryman’s experience in rabbit shows. A cat person said “I’m going to go to the litterbox.”
The rabbit folks whisper. Absolute, creepy silence in the showhall. Until a rabbit screams. That said, when I was at a rabbit show I just thought it was crowded.
Meanwhile us poultry poultry folks are just loud and deaf. Nothing weird about that, considering all the geese and call ducks that assault our poor ears.
That said, Silkie folks are basically cat people that should have bred a cat but instead bred a chicken to look like a cat but will never be quite like one, and Serama folks are people who should have showed pigeons but brought chickens instead. Those folks are pretty strange sometimes.
:)
As long as it is enjoyable.
There is always a lot of knowledge to be gained if one attends (active or passive) with an open mind.

Back
Top Bottom