how do you get rid of telemarketers?

1. Get rid of your land line.
2. Register your cell phone on the do not call registry.
3. Don't answer any numbers you don't recognize.

Two quick stories:

My parents have hardwood floors, and have for years. My mom got a call one day to have her carpets cleaned. She said she had wood floors and the caller said, "Lady, don't lie" then hung up on her!

When I was still living at home, I answered the phone one day and it was a telmarketer who wanted to clean our chimney. I told them that we had a wood stove, and that we just dropped the cat down it a few times when it seemed like it needed to be cleaned. They hung up on me.

When they call my house, "I'm just the babysitter."

When they call my office, "I'm not authorized to make any decisions."

Now we have our number on the Do Not Call list, so we rarely get calls any more. And we never give out our number - especially when a business asks for it when we check out.

What is even worse was our new phone number apparently belonged to some guy whom was delinquent on a few bills. They called here for like a year trying to contact him even though I had no idea whom he was. They wouldn't take my word that I had no idea whom they were calling for.

The solution was to tell them he moved away and gave them the number for an old pay phone nearby. No more calls.

For telemarketers I just start talking random stuff as long as possible and try to sell them something. They quit calling then.

2 ways:

1) answering machine
2) caller I.D.

We absolutely do not answer the phone to any number we don't recognize. I haven't talked to a telemarket in years.

I only have one company call me, I don't know why because we are on the do not call list. We have never done anything with this company. When the call they ask for my husband. At first I would ask for a message and tell them that I would give it to him when he comes to visit his children, they would never leave one. After several phone calls the caller put on the superviser because she couldn't get my husband. The superviser asked my what the problem was. I explained to her that I don't know what she was talking about that I have already told them that he dosen't live there and I would give him a message when he visit the children. Well the superviser was ticked because the phone number was still in his name. Still no message. And my husband is laughing listening to the call and the children looking at me knowing that I just lyed to someone.

Quote:
I keep getting calls for a Mary. There is no Mary living in my house. But the stupid bill collecters are determined that I am not being honest with them. They just won't believe me that the number they dialed might not be hers.

I have gotten to the point that I let the answering machine take the call. If it is someone that I want to talk with then I call them back.

Last edited:
I got a call on my cell at 9 pm telling me my vehicle warranty was about to expire. The recording instructed me to press 1 to extend my warranty so I did. The guy on the other end started the pitch saying he was gonna extend my warranty. I said, you can really extend my warranty? He said yes. I said great. He asked the make and model of my vehicle and I replied it is an 1865 Amish wagon. He said sir we only warranty vehicles from so and so years. Do you have a vehicle that falls in those years. I said all I have is the 1865 wagon. He said sir I am sorry we reached you by mistake we don't cover Amish wagons.

Back
Top Bottom