How do you get your birds to be so friendly?

Pics
I had a White Leghorn, she passed away today, she was about 4,5 years old) and I will miss her very much because she was so friendly. She's was ex-battery hen, I got her when she was about 16 months old, her foot had been broken and not properly healed and she was missing a lot of feathers.
I heard that white leghorns are very skittisch and aloof so I treated her accordingly, to win her over and so that she would trust me. So no sudden gestures, reminding myself that she could only see me from one eye because of her floppy comb, and treats from my hand.
After a year she was still a bit afraid of me and then our other chicken died, during the pandemic, so I couldn't get her a new friend right away. And then she got bumblefoot and I had to treat that .. she didn't like it but after a while she new that what I was doing helped, she was no longer in pain. So she began to trust me, I spend a couple hours every day with her because she was alone. She was talking to me all the time, and I began to understand what she meant... She would ask with her Putputput if it was okay for her to go somewhere, that I needed to follow her , that she wasn't shure and so on. After 9 months we got her a friend... She dindn't like it at first, but I saw the difference and why most chickens can't be kept alone... She began to eat more, she got out into the garden more , she was not in her nestbox all the time... It realy made a difference although before I didn't see she was lonesome.
But also she became more friendly towards me, she wanted to cuddle, wanted to be hugged, she developed a whole set of signs so that I would know what she wanted of me . Pecking on my leg was ,I want to sit on your lap, and when she sat there she would arange with her beak where I should place my arms... scratching at my shoe ment that I had to help her searching for worms ( because of her foot she couldn't realy do that ) standing on my shoe ment that she was tired and wanted to be carried... And so on. Even today, minutes before she passed this happened: She hadn't been drinking since this morning so I knew that this was it...( She had been not feeling well for the last 11 days, and yesterday it became so that I called every vet I could reach but they wouldn't take her because they didn't want to see' new patients' , our neighbour offered to help us this evening but she passed before that could happen)
So I checked on her every now and then, and at noon I desided to sit with her, when she saw me, she got up, holding balance with her wings, she was realy weak, but still allert, and moved towards me. I didn't want to pick her up because I was afraid hurting her, so I leaned towards her and gave her a hug. I told her everything was okay, she was safe... then she looked at me , and she was gone....
I think I was very lucky with her, but I also noticed in the last couple of months that althought they are supposedly skittisch and aloof I see a lot of those White leghorns ( here on the forum, on Instagram and so on) that have realy special bonds with 'their ' humans...
Also our other Hen, a light Sussex, has followed in her footsteps and is also a lapp chicken, doesn't want to be held, but she likes that we pet her and even allowes a cuddle .. If she's in the mood...
Very sorry for your loss...
Last wednesday I rescued three ex battery hens ( two Leghorn and one Lohmann brown). All of them seems quite shy and are afraid of me. I hope they will become friendly as the last hens I rescued, but those were all Lohman brown. Maybe they need some time to get used to a new life.

In all my 8.5 years of chicken keeping, I haven't had a super friendly chicken. I've had many chickens over the years, and not one of them has been extremely friendly.
I see many people with very friendly birds and I'm wondering, how do y'all do it? How do you get them to hop on your lap, follow you around, ask for attention, ect...?
Is it the breed? How you raise them? How much attention they get? Where you get them? Or is it a luck of the draw type of a thing?
I'd like to hear about ducks too, as sometime soon I'd like to get them!
If you want a super affectionate bird get a bourbon turkey egg and hatch it. I carry mine around in a little feltlined purse around my neck and talk and play with them every chance I get. Super snuggly critters. Or. Get a Chukkar. Same thing but ours has turned into a house bird. She sleeps on the dogs, sings to us constantly. Cashes balls and stays off the counters and table. Chicklet begs for table scraps and gets mad when I don’t shell Sid’s sunflower seeds fast enough. She was raised with the Turkeys and runs the joint. Best thing ….poop of cement..no moisture in it and no smell. She sleeps in a basket and on some old sweat pants on the stairs. I have had tons of birds but she takes the cake

Very sorry for your loss...
Last wednesday I rescued three ex battery hens ( two Leghorn and one Lohmann brown). All of them seems quite shy and are afraid of me. I hope they will become friendly as the last hens I rescued, but those were all Lohman brown. Maybe they need some time to get used to a new life.
Thank you...
Give it time, my leghorn took a while before she came around... But I think you will get there because it worked with your other chickens , the lohman browns are quicker to become friendly...
Goodluck with your new girls !

My Bourbon Red turkeys are very manageable, but not at all friendly.
Esp the hens. They are not at all mean, but are very....anxious, I’ll say.

My Holland Whites are like puppies and love to help me w everything....

All came from the same hatchery at the same time, were raised together and handled the same amount.... so I’m with whoever it was on pg 5 that said .... find a breeder who prioritizes temperament

In all my 8.5 years of chicken keeping, I haven't had a super friendly chicken. I've had many chickens over the years, and not one of them has been extremely friendly.
I see many people with very friendly birds and I'm wondering, how do y'all do it? How do you get them to hop on your lap, follow you around, ask for attention, ect...?
Is it the breed? How you raise them? How much attention they get? Where you get them? Or is it a luck of the draw type of a thing?
I'd like to hear about ducks too, as sometime soon I'd like to get them!
Out of personal experience with family and personal chickens, It's mainly a Luck of the draw, It can be their environment, owner, feed, etc. Breeds could also be a reason, I've seen some aggressive breeds and some calm ones (Then again I'm no expert) Currently my flock Is one of the friendliest I've seen, I would recommend spending as much time as you can with them, get them used to you. Treats may also help out! :fl

I had an SLW that I raised as a "lap chicken" from the day she was hatched; she was the chick that always ran towards the hand instead of freaking out and bouncing off the walls. I fed her by hand, handled her constantly, etc. She was amazingly friendly and wanted to hang out ON me as much as possible and she also stalked my sonView attachment 3621283View attachment 3621284View attachment 3621285View attachment 3621286View attachment 3621287. I've never had one that awesome before or since.
We’ve got 18 SLWs, 2 are Roos & there is such a mix of personalities that it’s crazy. However, if you sit long enough after treat feeding in the evening 2 or 3 of them will almost always end up on your lap or shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom