How do you get your chicks and chickens to like you?

Alright, thats the biggest thing that I am getting from this thread is treats, and handling. But what if the chicks are like almost 2 weeks old? Does it still work then too?

:lau:gig
Jut remember if your treating chicks they have to have grit, That being said when i'm brooding chicks they are handled quite frequently as only have a few at a time anyway, they are used to being handled and picked up and talked to, if I put my hand in the brooder they will climb up and perch on hand and will sit there cheeping away like they are trying to tell me some kinda story lol

After you've bonded over treats, what happens if you ever go in and you don't have treats? Do they still want to hang out with you, or do they only like you when you bring them food? It always annoyed me when we were growing up how my little sister always bribed the animals with food and they loved her, when I was trying to win them over with kindness, grooming, playing and other more social (and more honest, in my eyes, haha) methods, and it seemed so unfair, that I have been forever biased against treats, haha. Those were mostly mammals though. I know chickens aren't dogs/cats/goats/smart mammals that bond socially to humans, but is it possible to bond with a chicken and still be their friend even after you have to cap the treat supply for the day and you just want to hang out?
you are wrong there Chickens are pretty dang smart, while food is their favorite, they bond at a young age, more so than older ones, I take my chicks out for a bit of outside time just like a momma hen would do to get them to learn to socialize with the adult birds too, but then again I know my flock as I raised them all from 2 day old chicks with the exception of my main rooster, they had to re-home him but just getting to free ranging and treated and allowing him to think his name is pretty boy he has bonded really well and knows if chicks are there he's responsible for their protection too. He knows the treats come from in the house, he figured out where my bedroom window is for those times I'm running late, comes pecking at the door if his hens need something, They definitely aren't a stupid animal or they would not have survived without our intervention on their own. They are quite social too.
This is easier to do if you have a small flock than a big one though

Yes, they still like you lol.
The treat approach with chickens isn't the same as say with cats or dogs, chickens are prey so treats help overcome the fear instict.
You aren't bribing so much as imprinting you aren't a threat but the oppisite.
Handling them works the same, if they're in your grasp enough times and don't get eaten eventually you get the all clear. :)
After you've bonded over treats, what happens if you ever go in and you don't have treats? Do they still want to hang out with you, or do they only like you when you bring them food? It always annoyed me when we were growing up how my little sister always bribed the animals with food and they loved her, when I was trying to win them over with kindness, grooming, playing and other more social (and more honest, in my eyes, haha) methods, and it seemed so unfair, that I have been forever biased against treats, haha. Those were mostly mammals though. I know chickens aren't dogs/cats/goats/smart mammals that bond socially to humans, but is it possible to bond with a chicken and still be their friend even after you have to cap the treat supply for the day and you just want to hang out?

With my new batch of chickens, I had to brood them away from our dog, down in the far corner of the basement. Consequently they didn't get as much attention from me as they would have, had they not been viewed as snack sized treats by the dog.
So they weren't tame. Wild as could be, and not at all trusting of me by the time they got put out in the big girl coop. But two have become naturally friendly and seem to be flock leaders, so they sort of bring the other girls around. At this point they follow me around when they are free ranging, running after me if I go off in another direction. Once my grandkids realized they do this, we have had a regular chicken stampede around here, with a child running at full speed and 8 chickens running/leaping/flying after them. The chickens even learned to cut the kids off at the pass, and catch them that way. Too much fun! Not for treats, just exuberance.

With my new batch of chickens, I had to brood them away from our dog, down in the far corner of the basement. Consequently they didn't get as much attention from me as they would have, had they not been viewed as snack sized treats by the dog.
So they weren't tame. Wild as could be, and not at all trusting of me by the time they got put out in the big girl coop. But two have become naturally friendly and seem to be flock leaders, so they sort of bring the other girls around. At this point they follow me around when they are free ranging, running after me if I go off in another direction. Once my grandkids realized they do this, we have had a regular chicken stampede around here, with a child running at full speed and 8 chickens running/leaping/flying after them. The chickens even learned to cut the kids off at the pass, and catch them that way. Too much fun! Not for treats, just exuberance.
Just never let the kids chase the chickens, It may be cute now but it is something to watch, especially if there is a cockerel in the mix, we thought it was cute when they were little until the rooster we thought was nice would sneak up and we thought he was playing but nope he was sneaking up to attack. none the less because we didn't discourage them chasing us either when they were young that cockerel ended up being sent to freezer camp because of attack

Chickens love treats. But once they associate you with treats, they will come over to investigate whether you have some, even when you don't have any. For example, even though the entire ground is covered with clover, they only seem to eat it when I pick it and offer it up as a treat. Then they go nuts for it - like it's only special because it's in a person's hand. :lau
You are SO right!! :D

Just never let the kids chase the chickens, It may be cute now but it is something to watch, especially if there is a cockerel in the mix, we thought it was cute when they were little until the rooster we thought was nice would sneak up and we thought he was playing but nope he was sneaking up to attack. none the less because we didn't discourage them chasing us either when they were young that cockerel ended up being sent to freezer camp because of attack
Oh no, the kids know not to chase the chickens. I definitely wouldn't allow that. And thank goodness there are no roos in the bunch. Some I thought might be for quite a while are starting to squat and act even more pullet like. Eggs soon!

I used to have a hen who was curious about everything I was doing when I was in the run. That was the first year of chicken keeping and I was in there a lot building the infrastructure. She would sit on my shoulder and watch me, sit right next to me when i was digging a hole, because worms and bugs, don't you know. She was adorable. I think it depends partly on the hen.

Of course! Chasing chickens will be strictly forbidden. My kids are growing up with a very timid house cat, and know to be gentle and move slowly around animals, so I'll just extend the rule to the chickens. Especially since we'll be hatching them ourselves. If anybody wants to be allowed near the cute little chickens, they'll have to be extra nice to them :D

you are wrong there Chickens are pretty dang smart, while food is their favorite, they bond at a young age, more so than older ones, I take my chicks out for a bit of outside time just like a momma hen would do to get them to learn to socialize with the adult birds too, but then again I know my flock as I raised them all from 2 day old chicks with the exception of my main rooster, they had to re-home him but just getting to free ranging and treated and allowing him to think his name is pretty boy he has bonded really well and knows if chicks are there he's responsible for their protection too. He knows the treats come from in the house, he figured out where my bedroom window is for those times I'm running late, comes pecking at the door if his hens need something, They definitely aren't a stupid animal or they would not have survived without our intervention on their own. They are quite social too.
This is easier to do if you have a small flock than a big one though
I don't know why you're getting so defensive. I didn't say chickens were stupid. Of course they're not. They're just not as smart as cats and dogs, there's just no argument there.

The second is a trip to the garden or other safe place that can be caged in with you. Nothing brings on searching you out than a new, scary (yet fun) place. 2 of my Silkies were terrified of me until a trip to the garden lol. They were all over me.. next to me, following me, on me.. And they’ve liked me... or at least haven’t protested me since.

The third.. when they start getting cabin fever and you begin trips outside in a run with them.. carry them out by hand. More than one at once or they just cry. Pretty quickly they discover outside is awesome and they won’t protest you reaching in nearly as much, and many welcome it at that point.
Oh these are great ideas and make so much sense! I will definitely try them out.

My daughter doesn’t bring our chickens treats but to call them to their coop each nightfall, however she did hold her chicken ALL the time when she was just a hatchling. They do act like dogs with her, even waiting for her to get home from school. They free rage but only when I’m home with them. I think if you handle them young and show them that they can rely on you they will actually enjoy your company. I think that you’re right too many snacks can make them expect you to have treats ALL the time.
That is so sweet! I love the photo. Reminds me of when I was a kid and cuddled our chickens :love

Treats and food and more treats. Chickens are food motivated. :)
My flock are all tame enough to be handled when necessary, and I have a few who want to be in your lap as often as possible. They were tamed by meal worms and melon :)
Just remember not to let the treats be more than 10% of their diet. (they're a lot like kids, they would rather have candy than broccoli.)
I suggest cooked fish as treat; they love it, and it's good protein.

Back
Top Bottom