how do you get your ducks to go to bed?

Quote:
I can herd all my muscovies but my youngest, he was also raised inside so he doesn't understand, i just picked him up and put him in till he figured it out by himself, now he goes in on his own. He is 17 weeks though so you might have to just give them a little more time. My ducks like their house and want to go to bed at night. But I can remember a couple years ago when I couldn't get a couple of my girls inside at night, they were younger and like their freedom, but after they stayed out a few nights and I was worried sick, I rigged it up where at a certain time each evening I would make sure they were inside the inclosed area so I could get them inside. I think they'll learn on the own it just takes time.

as soon as it gets dark mine go into their pen. i have no idea why i didn't train them to do that they just go in there by themselves. all i do at night is shut the barn doors. glad their that way saves me time!

Quote:
I think that if they are hungry they will follow you in, if not they will keep doing what they are doing even if you change the treats. What kind of ducks are they and are they looking looking like weight wise? If they are looking good weight wise I would try to not give them food until you want them in, you could still give them some food in the morning.

For me I weigh the benefits vs the risks. If the ducks stay outside and I can't find them... They become food or sitting ducks! If I give them food at the end of the day they may be hungry for a bit but I am still feeding them. If I don't free range then they are not getting all the bugs and foraging on the land but less risk of them not coming home.

Mine just got used to it. Every night I would let them in their nighttime pen right as it was getting dark, and eventually they just caught on.

Mine free range, by dusk they all move over to the run where the main pool is or the duck barn itself(since i leave the door open) when the older ones we're younger i'd just herd them in.. but now at 5mths they know what to do.. and the younger ones just copied.

Last edited:
Quote:
funny, mine come when I yell chickchickchickchickens!
ducks like to eat. feed them late afternoon or early evening in the coop/pen/enclosure and then close the door. don't feed them morning/daytime if they're freeranging.
ducks herd well but they're sensitive and you have to be patient and not over herd (which is wy kids aren't good for this!)
if you need to herd, set up some sort of fencing funnel to their gate, move slowly, use two adults, take your time. if you want a good guide on herding, let me know I'l post the link.

ducks are active at night and don't necessarily want to be cooped (not like chickens). however, they're quite trainable. 2-4 weeks of feeding at night in the pen, with the same bird dinner call, same way each time, and herding them in if they balk, and they'll be like clockwork.

the only real difference between herding geese (in the link above) and herding ducks is that ducks are sometimes a LOT more sensitive than geese... depends on the individuals, and how tame they are, but in general, ducks are super sensitive and geese are a little slower to respond.

I just want to second all the suggestions to feed only at night. I pull their feed in the morning and set it out again when it's time to go to bed. By dusk, they are all standing around the gate to their pen quacking for me. They go in willingly.

I used to have a group who hated to go to bed and I remember how frustrating it was every night. The food trick works great. If you feel bad leaving them that long without food, you can just pull it in mid-afternoon and they'll do the same. But as long as they have free range opportunities, they won't have any trouble only being fed at night.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom