How do you get your Silkies to have....

chicken crazed 1o1

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Dugald , Manitoba
How do you get your Silkies to have such big Beards, Crests this is the closeist Iv gotten but she died .
sad.png
84411_sam_0547.jpg
And this is the closest when it came to my Roosters
84411_sam_0413.jpg
Please tell what to do so I can have at least breeding quality birds and pllease tell the good things about them and disqualifacations . Thank you
smile.png

It is genetic. You will need to either purchase eggs from birds that have the large crests and beards or purchase some breeder silkies that have the big crests/beards. There is nothing you can feed, etc to change them.

the male is not really beared... he looks more like a cross b/w a beared and a non beared... meaning he's a tweener... I'd say that if you have non bearded genetics in there, that's your biggest limiting factor to beard size.

You will have difficulty keeping wonderful crests and even beards, if you have a mixed flock of bantams cooped together. Those Crests are just too nice to resist pulling, beards, also, and the Silkies are easily driven away from feed and water. And for eating and drinking, the full crest and beard can restrict their sight (and thus being less able to cope with other penmates to be able to stay by the feeders). It can mean that separate, smaller coops for them might be advisable, so they eat and drink maximum for good health. They are the loveliest birds to see on green grass (although I NEVER let mine out on wet grass, so their feathered feet were not damaged!) They do ask for a little more protection than other breeds--but are so worth it!! Good luck, Woodenshoes.

I have to say that the only time I have issues with birds picking at crests is in my polish, or among roos cooped together with less than ideal space. My silkies simply don;t pick at beards or crests. Now when the birds are out of condition, needing a good molt, the crests and beards tend to look poorly, but that is more a "not in condition" issue than one where other birds are picking. I don't find htat silkies need extra protection; the same or even less is my experience.

Back
Top Bottom