How do you give quail a treat???

Kherome

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I have tried giving my quail various treats...hard boiled egg, freeze dried meal worms etc. Every single time they walk on it, poop on it, and fling it around the cage and through the wire making it unreachable. I think very little actually gets eaten. Is that just the way it is? Is there a more efficient way to give them treats without it becoming a poo covered fling fest?

I've given my quails vegetables from my garden before. I find that it depends on the quail; some will just gobble it up and some won't even look at it. I hold the stem and they peck at the leaves and rip it off the stem that I am holding. One day my toddler dropped a baby rice biscuit on the ground so I put it into their feeding bowl. They gobbled that up fast.

Put it in an old cake pan. They are still going to poop on it and walk on it but at least that way they can eat whatever it is that they will eat. Plus it makes it easier to clean up later.

I have been giving then corn on the cob lately. They seem to love to peck at it. We usually pick it in the garden cook it eat our share then give them the cob with what's left.

Mine love corn on the cob, we even give them the chewed up ones they peck them clean. Also love lettuce and worms.

Back
Top Bottom