How do you handle a skunk caught in a live trap????

I just caught my second skunk in a big live trap. the first behaved quite admirably. I was able to drape the tarp over the cage calmly and all went well. I don't even remember what I did with him. I think I let it go because I didn't want to deal with it.

NOT SO with the guy today. Totally jumpy and psycho. I had hoped to deal with him without him spraying in the cage, but he sprayed the second he saw me and it only went downhill from there.

I decided to try this CO2 strategy. Mine wouldn't die, despite being all tucked in under sealed heavy duty plastic with the car running for 20 min, then 40 and finally 60. I went in the house and googled "2013 Ford Focus Emissions" and learned that my car would have a hard time killing a June Bug. So bummed.

I guess its the gun then...

My suggestion next time would be to cover the trap first. Professional trappers use traps that have been covered on all sides to trap skunks. Skunks have poor vision so, therefore, covering the trap first might aid in them not being able to see what they're spraying.

I wonder if you released propane under the tarp if you would get similar results. My car and truck are to far away to run any kind of pipe or hose.

I would cover 3 sides of the trap with a tarp and have the exhaust hose already set up in the trap. You can cover the open side of the trap and take care of business.

Propane burns cleaner than gasoline or diesel. I'd use my riding mower. It will have less emissions control and more pollution.

Back
Top Bottom