How do you handle unwanted evangelists who knock at your door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I debate with them. It amuses me.

My dad once greeted them in his underwear with a beer in his hand. They didn't stick around very long.

Quote:
You are kind and showing them tolerance of faith....

agreed. that is very good of you

Thanks guys, I know how irritating it can be too, believe me- but I have to take a step back and try to realize that their just doing what they feel is the right thing for them to be doing, they have no idea how many people have bugged me before, and they've probably had the door slammed in their faces a million times that day. I like to think it blows their minds to think that the person who really doesn't even believe in religion has been the nicest to them all day!
tongue.gif

I forgot to get dressed and invited them in for coffee. They politely declined and haven't been back since.

Quote:

Thanks guys, I know how irritating it can be too, believe me- but I have to take a step back and try to realize that their just doing what they feel is the right thing for them to be doing, they have no idea how many people have bugged me before, and they've probably had the door slammed in their faces a million times that day. I like to think it blows their minds to think that the person who really doesn't even believe in religion has been the nicest to them all day!
tongue.gif

I was joking of course. But I totally agree with your approach. You don't have to be religious to be kind and tolerant, in fact, it has been my experience that non-religious people are usually the most tolerant.

I tell them that my grandfather was a minister. I've read the Good Book from cover to cover. And that living in America I have a right to my religious beliefs just as they do to theirs...BUT that I also have a right to my privacy. My farm is my private land and I do not want anyone coming onto my farm to try to tell me how to think or what I should believe. I then ask them to leave and shut the door on them. I've never had one return a second time.

My mom on the other hand listens politely, takes their pamphlets and their phone number and of course never calls them. And they keep coming back. I think she's too nice...

Quote:
that one debate you had with them was very moving. I was impressed with how well worded and respectful it was.

Hey, they have to do what they think is right, which is spreading the word of Jesus's love. I have to do what I think is right and be honest that I'm on the fence when it comes to the whole religion thing. I can do that without being rude.

I still don't think they know what to make of me. They never did send that information to me. Maybe I'm a lost cause.

Had a group of ladies comming by every day, Borrowed my sis's nerd glasses, put my hair into pig tails and found a saline bottle from my child days. Next time they came, I dressed up talked in my nasal voice and snorted my saline spray (the bottle was empty) and scared the crap outta them, the never came back.

Quote:

tongue.gif

true. I was volunteering with the living village a couple of years ago, and when I and the curator of the american indian museum of the area were talking about the various tools and their time lines, one of the other re-enactors over heard.

she politely approached me after the place shut down and sad that we were wrong about the earth being millions of years old, and gave me a bible on her faith. I chatted with her and thanked her. Is till have the bible. I love other religions and I understand that her religion requires proselytizing.

She came to me in a respectful manner so I listened. When I was done with the conversation she did not push or follow or preach at me. I am nice if you're nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom