How do you heat your coops

You must realize' if you heat the coop your chickens are Lilly to get sick. From a warm coop to a cold out side makes for a bad combination. A good insulated coop and a nice covered run will keep them wonderfullyx all winter. I use carpeting on there roosts and I use 2 by 4 's so they have a nice roosting surface to sit on. All carpeted with very low pile there comfortable and can sit on there feet and there feet stay warm on the carpeting. My run has a covered roof, we completely cover the sides ( this year using heavy plastic stapled on) and a cut to fit plywood sheet over the door to keep wind and snow out. We used tarps last year but it was hard to keep snow off the top so we had a roof put on and it's going to be so much better.the plywood covering the doors is held in place by a long stretchy bungee cord. My chickens did wonderful with the snow and wind blocked. There coop was much warmer also. With a totally dry pen, and wind proof, there much more warmer . We used a dog kennel panels last year and used zip ties to tie on tarps, but this year we decided to add a roof and hard wire pen because we were forever trying to keep snow off the tarps so the roof would not cave in. I. Decided when spring came I was going to make it easier n my self and have a new pen built, and use clear plastic for more light. I can not tell you how much better it is for my girls to not have to be in the wind and snow. And have a roost covered in carpeting . They do very very well.

You must realize' if you heat the coop your chickens are Lilly to get sick. From a warm coop to a cold out side makes for a bad combination. A good insulated coop and a nice covered run will keep them wonderfullyx all winter. I use carpeting on there roosts and I use 2 by 4 's so they have a nice roosting surface to sit on. All carpeted with very low pile there comfortable and can sit on there feet and there feet stay warm on the carpeting. My run has a covered roof, we completely cover the sides ( this year using heavy plastic stapled on) and a cut to fit plywood sheet over the door to keep wind and snow out. We used tarps last year but it was hard to keep snow off the top so we had a roof put on and it's going to be so much better.the plywood covering the doors is held in place by a long stretchy bungee cord. My chickens did wonderful with the snow and wind blocked. There coop was much warmer also. With a totally dry pen, and wind proof, there much more warmer . We used a dog kennel panels last year and used zip ties to tie on tarps, but this year we decided to add a roof and hard wire pen because we were forever trying to keep snow off the tarps so the roof would not cave in. I. Decided when spring came I was going to make it easier n my self and have a new pen built, and use clear plastic for more light. I can not tell you how much better it is for my girls to not have to be in the wind and snow. And have a roost covered in carpeting . They do very very well.
I like your idea of the carpet on the roosts for the winter. I think I'll get to work on that myself! Thanks again.
thumbsup.gif

Carpet on the roosts, I don't even want to think about cleaning that mess after a couple of weeks. What good does insulation do in the winter, if the coop is properly ventilated? And by ventilation, I'm not talking about a couple of 2X6" floor grates. The chickens have perfectly good insulation of their own. It's really funny to me, that people put their own limitation of handling cold weather, on their chickens. When in reality land, the chickens are well suited (Literally) for the cold.
How many tales of woe will we read about this year, about burned down coops, and all the chickens in it, due to a stupid and unnecessary heatlamp. Or about some poor frosted up birds, due to being kept in a near airtight box in some misguided attempt to "Keep them warm". Bottom line, they don't need any added heat from us, And they don't want some well insulated, poorly ventilated box to live in.
Jack

chickens molt in winter, we are extreme weather and what works for you is all about you. we seem to like to love on our girls and we think they need to be comfortable and well thats our choice. as far as mess on my roosts, well Jack my roosts are clean and always clean. not sure how your roosts are but mine stay clean. take a look. and yes my coop is clean all the time !!! and I chose to insulate the walls and floor of my coop, and for you what ever blows your hair back. I think its cruel not to at least keep the girls in a decent coop . I say do what you like I will do what I like . :) see any poop there jack?? well that roost has been carpeted for 5 months now, never scooped poop or cleaned it. I say its just fine ! this coop holds ten girls. I just choose to keep on top of the poop and am always scooping the poop board and cleaning litter. but my roosts, I have never had to touch yet. I have the same roost on the other side of my coop, carpeted to, been there for over a year, not a drop on it. no mites, no bugs no poop. :) and my coop is well insulated with windows, and a ceiling ventilation cap. never had a problem with ventilation or frozen combs, for that matter. my run, its also weatherized for winter, yep we make sure our girls have it good, and there for there healthy and happy hens.

Carpet on the roosts, I don't even want to think about cleaning that mess after a couple of weeks. What good does insulation do in the winter, if the coop is properly ventilated? And by ventilation, I'm not talking about a couple of 2X6" floor grates. The chickens have perfectly good insulation of their own. It's really funny to me, that people put their own limitation of handling cold weather, on their chickens. When in reality land, the chickens are well suited (Literally) for the cold.
How many tales of woe will we read about this year, about burned down coops, and all the chickens in it, due to a stupid and unnecessary heatlamp. Or about some poor frosted up birds, due to being kept in a near airtight box in some misguided attempt to "Keep them warm". Bottom line, they don't need any added heat from us, And they don't want some well insulated, poorly ventilated box to live in.
Jack

Last edited:
I agree, an insulated coop is nice, but you have to have LOTS of ventilation to avoid moisture problems. No heat is nescessary if your coop is draft-free and well-ventilated, and the birds have access to unfrozen water and plenty of food.
we seem to have plenty of ventilation, with a large roof ventilation cap, and windows, we have never had any problems. we also use a tin can heater.

Birds have natural insulation and coops do not need heat even in the coldest climates. If they go out at all in winter, and they should, even in the snow, you are going to have *soft* birds, used to being warmed up inside, going into the natural weather, and then you have issues. Make sure your coop is draft free, but well ventilated. Draft free at floor level and roost level, but vented at the top for air flow. Keep them dry, keep the air flowing, and you're not going to have to worry about putting in heaters. Why mess with your birds natural state by treating them like they are made of glass?

Birds such as Serama which come from a tropical climate are an exception, and they are not able to tolerate cold winter weather. BUT most chickens are well-equipped to handle a little bit of cold weather. I am sure our great grandmas did not put heat or central air in their chicken coops. And we still have chickens to show for that.

I use a small electric heater, like this. I hang it so the chickens cannot mess with it.

200x200px-ZC-bb6a6725_15498_79jr_utility_heater_127007.jpeg

Heating your coop is your choice, and you should take into account your chickens, coop, individual situation etc.

Imp

chickens molt in winter, we are extreme weather and what works for you is all about you. we seem to like to love on our girls and we think they need to be comfortable and well thats our choice. as far as mess on my roosts, well Jack my roosts are clean and always clean. not sure how your roosts are but mine stay clean. take a look. and yes my coop is clean all the time !!! and I chose to insulate the walls and floor of my coop, and for you what ever blows your hair back. I think its cruel not to at least keep the girls in a decent coop . I say do what you like I will do what I like . :) see any poop there jack?? well that roost has been carpeted for 5 months now, never scooped poop or cleaned it. I say its just fine ! this coop holds ten girls. I just choose to keep on top of the poop and am always scooping the poop board and cleaning litter. but my roosts, I have never had to touch yet. I have the same roost on the other side of my coop, carpeted to, been there for over a year, not a drop on it. no mites, no bugs no poop. :) and my coop is well insulated with windows, and a ceiling ventilation cap. never had a problem with ventilation or frozen combs, for that matter. my run, its also weatherized for winter, yep we make sure our girls have it good, and there for there healthy and happy hens.
Take it easy, no offense meant, sorry if it was taken that way. I guess your chickens are housebroken a lot better than mine, or at least have much better aim. Because my roosts (2X4s, wide side up) can get crappy, and have to be cleaned/hosed off every now and again. If somebody wants to keep their coop as clean as the house they live in, go for it. Me, I'm not going to be out in the coop every week cleaning. I too, believe in providing a good coop for the birds to live in. I just believe some people can get carried away.
Jack

Take it easy, no offense meant, sorry if it was taken that way. I guess your chickens are housebroken a lot better than mine, or at least have much better aim. Because my roosts (2X4s, wide side up) can get crappy, and have to be cleaned/hosed off every now and again. If somebody wants to keep their coop as clean as the house they live in, go for it. Me, I'm not going to be out in the coop every week cleaning. I too, believe in providing a good coop for the birds to live in. I just believe some people can get carried away.
Jack
no offense taken Jack, really its cool, I hear you on the maintance, but me Im a clean freak, hate the poop so we make sure its up and out. but again, I have 3 kids lol. Have a great day :)

I went to a friends and saw there roosts, man your right some chickens are poopy lol, but she had her 2x4s in a ladder style and they pooped on each one. I guess my girls have some decorum lol, I have never seen poop on the roosts. we changed out the carpeting only to be sure there was no mites, but again we have never seen one. I just shovel all the coop out onto a shower curtain, then dump it into the compost. scoop poop off boards daily and then add more litter. but again Im over excessive I think LOL.

Back
Top Bottom