How do you heat your coops

Well, it sounds like you have an issue with your relative then. If the relative is practicing animal cruelty, talk to your ex-job. Send them out there. Sounds like youve done a thorough head count of her flock even with them being completely free range. If you think there's a case turn it in and be done with it. Then manage your own flock to your standards.
what a totally snarky reply. Not helpful, just plain snarky.

I really get a little aggrivated by postings that downgrade the use of heat sources. "Chickens don't need heat" is a real negative approach even though it holds true to decades of chickens surviving without it. Finding the right comfort zone for your chickens without the numerous winter maladies that affect them is the key factor to solving anyones worry of their chickens being warm enough and protected from the weather. "Sure", there are good hardy breeds that do very well in cold climates such as Alaska that have short summers and cold dark winter months and my hats off to those people and nay sayers. A lot can be learned by their methods and others as to how to raise chickens without the use of artificial heat souces.
The reality is that in todays age and era, many useful products have been made available to provide an alternative if we choose to. As many have mentioned, too much heat may not be healthy and could do more harm than good! No argument there, thats a fact! Once again I will use the term "Comfort zone. There are tons of debatable issues that all play a part in keeping your chickens in the "Comfort zone" during the winter weather that lies ahead of you. Your coop construction, insulation, air ventilation, and the list goes on and on are all the key elements to aide you in providing sufficient living quarters without using artificial heat. But then again, you may find it very useful to add some heat if you failed or lacked doing all that is necessary to live without it!
Whtever you opt to do, keep it safe and choose wisely!

I really get a little aggrivated by postings that downgrade the use of heat sources. "Chickens don't need heat" is a real negative approach even though it holds true to decades of chickens surviving without it. Finding the right comfort zone for your chickens without the numerous winter maladies that affect them is the key factor to solving anyones worry of their chickens being warm enough and protected from the weather. "Sure", there are good hardy breeds that do very well in cold climates such as Alaska that have short summers and cold dark winter months and my hats off to those people and nay sayers. A lot can be learned by their methods and others as to how to raise chickens without the use of artificial heat souces.
The reality is that in todays age and era, many useful products have been made available to provide an alternative if we choose to. As many have mentioned, too much heat may not be healthy and could do more harm than good! No argument there, thats a fact! Once again I will use the term "Comfort zone. There are tons of debatable issues that all play a part in keeping your chickens in the "Comfort zone" during the winter weather that lies ahead of you. Your coop construction, insulation, air ventilation, and the list goes on and on are all the key elements to aide you in providing sufficient living quarters without using artificial heat. But then again, you may find it very useful to add some heat if you failed or lacked doing all that is necessary to live without it!
This is exactly true!
goodpost.gif

I've advocated educating yourself, and making decisions about chicken care based on your individual situation, for years. Any 1 size fits all, for all birds, may not be healthy.

Imp- I see so many posts about winter chicken care that are just patently false.
th.gif

Last edited:
Your full grown feathered out chickens are already equipped to handle the cold.

Drafts and Frost bite are issues so your coop doesn't need insulation but should be draft free and well ventilated.

Take a look at the under feathers and you might notice they are really fluffy. If you get a spare, place it in your freezer and take it out. You will find that it really poofs up. Like an eider down comforter. That poofing creates warm air pockets that will keep your chicken toasty warm. So they can handle freezing temps so long as they are not in a hard wind.

Ever just have a sweater on in a cold windy day and felt like it was not keeping you warm. The cold drafts can push the hot air out of the pockets and make them cold.

The roosts should be wide enough so that when they roost they cover their feet and then the feet stay warm too.

If your coop is insulated but you lose ventilation then you will expose them to frost and frost causes problems with the combs.

I hope that helps. We do actually have freezing days here in Florida - not many but enough.
Caroline

There isn't anything negative about the FACT, that chickens do not need heat. Maybe in your mind. We are not talking decades either, we are talking centuries of chickens surviving without artificial heat. Letting the birds properly acclimate to the cold weather conditions, without any artificial heat to screw that up, is one of the most positive things you can do. Along with giving them a proper coop, and feeding them right, they will go through winter with no problems.
Comfort zone huh? Who decides a chicken's comfort zone, You? What are you going to base this "Comfort zone" on? How cold you think it is? So the chickens must be chilly, because you're freezing. It doesn't work that way. You are talking about an animal with what, a body temp avg, of 108 or so degrees. surrounded by one of natures best insulating/warming feature, feathers. You want to waste time and $$$ on your electric bill for added heat the birds don't need, or go out and buy the latest and greatest chicken knit sweaters or KeepTheirLittleToesWarm heater, knock yourself out. But theres no need to get "Aggravated" from postings from people doing the correct thing.

Last edited:
.I live in Montana too :) I do use a heated roost which has a thermostat on it for when it reaches below freezing. I agree with it being wide enough so they can cover their toes with their feathers, and it keeps them from freezing. You don't need a heated roost, I only made one because I got Peafowl this past year. I use a 2x4 with the wide side to sit on heated or not.
My shed/coop is insulated....came that way when we moved in. It keeps the water pretty much ice free until temps drops way below zero. I put straw on the floor.....my chickens (and peafowl) stay happy and healthy. Some of our chickens are older than 7 yrs ( yes they don't lay but they have been my daughters pets that long). I don't know if there is a right or wrong way, this is what works for us. :)

If we're going to discuss the "comfort zone" for chickens there are other factors to be considered. Light, and humidity are also factors relating to a chickens comfort.

According to the American Egg Board the ideal temperature is 57 and 79°F. Logic would dictate that if there is a "too cold" level than there must be a "too hot" point as well. If we use the AEB numbers than when the temperature exceeds 80°F. we should be providing air conditioning for our flock.

I can't speak for anyone else, but OldGal and I believe the best approach is to let chickens be chickens; Not pampered pets. The only room in our house that's air conditioned is the bedroom. I'll be darned if I'm going to air condition the chicken run.

Be as "aggravated" as you like O'R', if it makes you feel better. As for myself, I'll continue to advocate no heat.

I really get a little aggrivated by postings that downgrade the use of heat sources. "Chickens don't need heat" is a real negative approach even though it holds true to decades of chickens surviving without it.
Attitudes like this will weaken the chicken gene pool.
Soon you will have chickens that are allergic to peanut butter, tuna, shell fish, perfume, chalk dust, and cat hair.
Wish I could think of some relevant examples where pampering lead to something similar..

I am from Michigan. It gets pretty cold at times. I built an 8X8 coup and it is insulated and I have a 100 watt inferred light to heat it and I have 100 Watt white light bulb on a timer to keep at least 14 hrs. of daylight. This for 11 hens and a Rooster. They are our pets more than the need for eggs. But the eggs are a plus.

Back
Top Bottom