How do you heat your coops

Our coop is insulated with Styrofoam. Last year when we only had four old hens, we used a heat lamp at night. But this year with 24 hens we won't be using any artificial heat. We will just have an artificial light to keep them laying steady until they start to molt, then the light will be turned off. The reason we insulated our coop is because it helps keep the drafts out. Our coop was recently sided with steel so that should help as well. When it can get to -30 here in MN, you can't tell me a chicken won't appreciate a little insulation
lol.png

Haven't used it YET seeing as how I just got my first chickens ever in June but I got a stock tank heater (Amazon). They have built in thermostats and the one I got can sit on the bottom or float. My birds drink from 5 saddle type nipples on a 3/4" pipe in the coop. One end is connected by tubing to the 5 gallon bucket outside the coop. No mess in the coop if it leaks and easy to fill. I have a VERY small submersible pump in the bucket that connects, again via tubing, to the other end of the 3/4" pipe in the coop. I plan to put it on a timer to run every (don't know yet, will have to be "try and see what works") hours. It will just push the water back up into the bucket through the "main" tube. The pump isn't connected now. I just realized I have no pictures so people can see what I am talking about. Guess I need to get on that.
I'd love to see a photo of this kind of watering setup, do you have any to post? Thanks

Love your reply Vicki!"
goodpost.gif
"Awesome!" Yep not all of us are lucky to live South of the border
yippiechickie.gif
Gee, I can only imagine the cold freezing conditions in Northern Wisconsin, as in Utah we get brutal Winters, cold conditons that last up to seven months! We have a heat lamp that is securely mounted to the corner of our coop. We have a Chicken tractor and upstairs is the lamp, it is on a timer and does not run all the time. We (hubby and I) provide, clean conditons, quality feed and ventilation, for our currently three hens and Rooster. Thinking about placing a partail tarp on the outside, bottom of the Chicken Tractor to prevent snow flooding in. We also have a heated water pad so the water does not turn to solid ice, chickens rely on fresh, clean and unfrozen water. Finally, with all preventions taken and with quality care of our Chickens, we have still lost four. One when he was chick, our Rooster from a predator, have since then built a fence and replaced the Rooster, one hen from impacted gullet and one hen from egg impaction. Still learning all the time. At the moment on the brighter side of things our Rooster is sitting currently in the nesting box, I read somehwere, that is their way of showing younger hens how to lay. Not sure of the truth in it. But I can't wait until out Easter Eggers lay, should be soon.
D.gif
Certainly not expecting nothing from the Rooster!
lau.gif

Last edited:
I haven't read any of the 91 responses... how do I heat my coop?

I live in Phoenix.

(And I have AC in my big coop)

Agree about heating being a bad idea. Where I live the power goes out quite often. I'd hate to get my little birdies used to heat only to have it go off, and on, and off, and on, etc.

I haven't read any of the 91 responses... how do I heat my coop?

I live in Phoenix.

(And I have AC in my big coop)
I imagine you never have to worry about that Mahonri. I have a rule though - We get AC before the chickens. This summer was brutal on us. We are not used to those temperatures here.

I have a friend who lives in Roswell, NM - and she said walking outside in the summer is like opening an oven and getting that blast. I can't imagine.

Your chickens are lucky to have you!

Hi,
I live in Kansas, where the weather gets below zero often. I had Styrofoam installed half way up the barn walls and wood over that. I have a large window that allows air flow, and I am able to close it should there be a need to. I plan on using a light bulb in a concrete block to heat the galvanized water-er. I use galvanized in place of plastic as it's organic, plastic gets hot and leaches out toxin's. Any way back to heating the chickens coop. I do plan on using a inferred lighting to help with the very cold nights, if given a chance to be warm verses cold, the hens will choose warm every time. This will only be used during the coldest of days. Rule of thumb: If it's under 20% turn on the heat. Chickens do not need heat to survive, however I have known of people who have chickens with a top comb that have been frost bitten and therefor lost there comb, I also have combed chickens, I chooses to keep them worm so as not to be in pain from frost bite. I know that animals can live out the winter with out being heated, In this day and age however we have the abality to care for our feathered friends in ways our four fathers did not. "Then again" Animals did sleep in a room next to the family inside there homes. I know for a fact that people took the time to keep there livestock warm in the winter back in the 1800's.

I wish you a peaceful winter this year and that you will do what is best for you. If you sleep better at night knowing that your fowl are heated then that is what you need to do for you and them to have a good nights sleep and restful day.

We do not use any light, my girls stopped laying for about 6 weeks then kick started with the egg laying all over again. We had five chickens and we got eggs from them pretty often but not consistent. I do not add light, but am thinking of it this year to keep the girls going since I see my production is down already and out of 6 birds got only 1 egg yesterday. I'm glad we had power added to the coop so we can add light. I'm seriously thinking about it. Just not sure at what times to set the timers yet.
i only get 3-4 eggs per day from five, 2 yr. old hens and i have three , 4-5 months old ,two guineas that are four months,( and also going to be dinner soon) , one cherry and one cuckoo maran that are 3-4 months old.. i think four.. yes four. i got two round and considerably small eggs from the younger ones coop ( over four days) so i think it is one of hte EE's .. but i donno for sure. i gotts go now but please keep me posted and respond to this with any opionions or anything.

Bye Karlamaria and everyone else!

love from clucky3255

Back
Top Bottom