how do you introduce a duckling to a 4 week old duck?

Haha miss Lydia they love their water I have been uses all my extra plastic storage bins to have water bowls around the yard for them plus their kiddie pool you never know when they'll be thirsty! yes we have a rectangle cut out on each side sorta closer to the top with small holed wire mesh covering it plus where the roof and sides meet there are small gaps also and very small gaps when the door is closed just little slivers, eventually I want to have it where we don't have to close the door and they can choose to.sleep inside the house or outside of it but I need to make sure everything is secure and invest in better chicken wire stuff

marceline thinks it's funny to sit in their water dish :/
marceline enjoying the weeds and sunflowers we potted for them
this is some pen progress definitely not done but they go in the dog duck house at night and the door gets closed we need to get better wire to go around the top to secure it more but the black stuff is just for shade right now this is now here they have breakfast and dinner they have been very good about goin in the house and at night they seem to feel very safe and don't start quaking until 8 am they normally go in the enclosure at about 8 pm eat and play in the mini pool by 10 they put themselves in the dog duck house and I secure the door for the night :) also thought I should add that they free range during the day and are mostly up in the shady front part of our house I would not keep them in this small of an area all day :)
oh so cute and funny. The darlings ,e,esure have their routine down with getting to bed. I love how I separable they are. Funny how one sits in it while the other drinks from it.

Last edited:
Haha Julie they really are a couple of easy going birds, I like to think our dogs had something to do.with it, they are very easy going and calm well until there is a cat on the back fence or a rat in the trees here's a picture of them protecting their greens haha I can't make this stuff up if I tried

Haha Julie they really are a couple of easy going birds, I like to think our dogs had something to do.with it, they are very easy going and calm well until there is a cat on the back fence or a rat in the trees here's a picture of them protecting their greens haha I can't make this stuff up if I tried
You are so right Ms Marceline. You cannot make this stuff up. That is beyond precious the two of them protecting their food like that. And beyond that it is so cute. I wish I could love squeeze both of them. And it is nice they and the dogs get along so well too. Ugh, rats in trees. Gross.

I know we've had them break into the house to and I really hate killing anything I'm the type.of person to gather up a spider and set it outside (unless black widow or those darn brown recluses) but once they come.inside it's an invasion on the safety of my family and actions have to.be taken :( there is a house down the street that was infested with them and has now been abandoned for yearsss it's terrible when I.see my dogs crying looking up at the trees they have been so good at catching them though we find "presents" occasionally. the dogs really have no problem with the ducks even at snack Time (I will also give then a treat too) they understand what's the ducks and what's theirs I couldn't ask.for better companions. they would absolutely love your cuddles marceline has been coming up to me more and more and I think it's because she enjoys being petted now it's very sweet

I know we've had them break into the house to and I really hate killing anything I'm the type.of person to gather up a spider and set it outside (unless black widow or those darn brown recluses) but once they come.inside it's an invasion on the safety of my family and actions have to.be taken :( there is a house down the street that was infested with them and has now been abandoned for yearsss it's terrible when I.see my dogs crying looking up at the trees they have been so good at catching them though we find "presents" occasionally. the dogs really have no problem with the ducks even at snack Time (I will also give then a treat too) they understand what's the ducks and what's theirs I couldn't ask.for better companions. they would absolutely love your cuddles marceline has been coming up to me more and more and I think it's because she enjoys being petted now it's very sweet
I am the same way regarding bugs and spiders. I rescue and ignore too but if it's poisonous or a fly it gets put to death. Cool your dogs are rat patrollers. Except for the gifts. Rats are OK otherwise but not indoors or whatever. That is so cool that Marceline is becoming so much more receptive to being pet. I couldn't live with her very well and not be able to give her love. She and Gunter really are wonderful ducks in how fun and sweet they are. It is also amazing how smart your dogs are in that they know whose treats are whose.

I am the same way regarding bugs and spiders. I rescue and ignore too but if it's poisonous or a fly it gets put to death. Cool your dogs are rat patrollers. Except for the gifts. Rats are OK otherwise but not indoors or whatever. That is so cool that Marceline is becoming so much more receptive to being pet. I couldn't live with her very well and not be able to give her love. She and Gunter really are wonderful ducks in how fun and sweet they are. It is also amazing how smart your dogs are in that they know whose treats are whose.

Speaking of "gifts", there are now so many feathers in the house that my cats have stopped bringing me cat toys as 'presents' and started bringing shed feathers! Do your cats do that, Mar-mar?

Julie I actually had a pet rat growing up haha. I agree I can coexist with any species as long as they stay at their home and don't mess with my kids. :) Amy I wish I had cats I love them my mom always had at least one growing up, my husband does not want me having one though he felt the dogs were enough and then I got ducks so he's really done with new editions. my mom has a few cats though, when our ducks start shedding feathers I will make her some cat toys haha maybe she'll like that. picking up duck food today I fell in love with 20 bunnies oh to dream my husband had an altercation with a bunny as a kid that left him with a scar so they are out of the question also :( one day I may talk him into doing the farm thing though then I will be like ace Ventura haha

Back
Top Bottom