How do you introduce chicks to a flock?

jasonak

Chirping
13 Years
May 17, 2008
wasilla,AK
Hi
I have about 55 chicks that are 5 weeks old.I took one out today and put him in the pen and right away he was being picked on.Whats the trick to adding chicks to your flock ? How old should they be? MY coops heated so temp is not a problem.
thanks

I wait til they are about two months old and then I put them in the pen next to the older ones, so they can see each other through the fence for about a week and then add them to the flock.

Best of Luck
smile.png

Quote:
I agree! We did this and are having fantastic luck with it. The older birds aren't hurting the chicks and the chicks love their little enter/exit door that let's them into the coop.

See it here on the right...

IMG_0854.jpg

It has worked out so well for us.

I agree. We put ours in a transition pen so they will be around the others but seperated for at least a week. Then we introduce them just before they all go to roost. They get a chance to test the pecking order for just a short time and then they roost together and they all wake up together and there is usually little problem. Sometimes if we introduce them too early in the day then we have to babysit for a bit until they get used to each other. There will be a new pecking order being established so they will be pecking at each other, just watch that none of the older ones are being mean otherwise you might have to keep them seperated a bit longer until the little ones get a bit bigger then try it again.

Back
Top Bottom