How do you introduce new chicks into an established flock

If they are pecking each other, it is probably an environmental factor stressing them, like not enough space, or distractions, or competing for other resources.

Fix that before spreading goop on your chicks.
This.

The pecking will continue with or without any type of cream or ointment unless its cause is addressed. The feathers will regrow with time if the pecking stops (or at least becomes minimal). And I know it can look distressing, but unless there are bloody spots or other wounds, your chickens should be okay.

If you are concerned about wounds from the plucking, another option is a hen apron. You can find them on Amazon and My Pet Chicken, and they are a non-medicinal way to protect a chicken's back while the feathers regrow. They are not a long-term option though, and should not be on the hen for an extended time.

As for the cream, I haven't heard anything about it, sorry.

No. They peck them on the head pretty hard, though. I can see how that would be dangerous to a very small chick.
Yes, I have had to rescue baby chicks being pecked to death. Some were dead, and some I rescued.I read that sometimes if the hen is black but her chicks are white she kills them because she sees them as intruders. I don't understand that, but for whatever reason, the hen tried to kill her chicks!

Back
Top Bottom