How do you keep a broody in the coop with all the other hens & limit eggs?

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
My broodies (mixed banty, Wyandotte & brahma) historically are not friendly at all when they go broody and my mixed banty is actually a chick from last years hatch and is pretty wild. I have 2-3 hens broody (again). I'm ok with letting them hatch eggs. I know the banty has about 5 full sized eggs under her but the other one/two's numbers is unknown. I have not collected any eggs for the last three days. I have 9 hens & a rooster. I know the rooster gets cozy with about 4 - 5 of them for sure. I question the others. He is a big boy and I am pretty sure him & the banty have not had relations. I tried putting cardboard in to block them in and block the others out today, but that isn't working too well. I'd like to limit the number of eggs that are being laid in those two (out of three) nest boxes. Moving them is not really a good option.

Any tips? Ideas?

My only suggestion is to mark the eggs you want them to hatch and remove any new eggs laid in their nests everyday. You could wear gloves and long sleeves if they're pecky. Or, maybe put some hardware clothe over their nests and kick them out to eat, drink and poop once a day. Maybe others will have some better suggestions. Good luck!

Ok, I went back out and the hen was off her nest so I marked the 11 eggs that were in that nest. There are 5 in the other nest under the banty. I'll see what happens. thanks a bunch Nikki!

Back
Top Bottom