How do you keep ducklings (and their bedding) dry in brooder???

Just curious, were you severely beaten for needing a midnight snack or drink of water? Animals are not like humans. My dogs and cats even grab a bite to eat or drink at times during the night. Animals are by nature "grazers" and eat and drink when they NEED, not necessarily when MAN tells them so.
Wow.
As ducklings they should have acess 24/7, but once grown, they do not need it at night. I do not let my chickens have access to food or water once locked up and neither will my ducks. My dogs go to bed when we go to bed and if the door is closed not one of them is leaving to go get a drink of water. My dogs also eat on a schedule, I don't leave their food out all day. I have to split it up otherwise they would eat it all at once and could possibly bloat.
Everyone sees things differently and many provide food and water only during the day. Even the wise people who have been poultry rearing for longer than I can imagine here on byc recommend not allowing the food and water in the coop at night (exceptions for the little ones of course), but usually they are not in a coop until older.
Your post is pretty judgemental. There are better ways to offer advice.

Last edited:
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
Hello...These are the water containers I use..Same as @Soon2BChixMom . I also provide feed and water 24/7 till 6 weeks..Then they can go through the night without..

Wow.
As ducklings they should have acess 24/7, but once grown, they do not need it at night. I do not let my chickens have access to food or water once locked up and neither will my ducks. My dogs go to bed when we go to bed and if the door is closed not one of them is leaving to go get a drink of water. My dogs also eat on a schedule, I don't leave their food out all day. I have to split it up otherwise they would eat it all at once and could possibly bloat.
Everyone sees things differently and many provide food and water only during the day. Even the wise people who have been poultry rearing for longer than I can imagine here on byc recommend not allowing the food and water in the coop at night (exceptions for the little ones of course), but usually they are not in a coop until older.
Your post is pretty judgemental. There are better ways to offer advice.
You are very right, I was very rude. I apologize. I get real touchy when people talk about withholding feed from animals. I have witnessed enough animal cruelty cases that are simply people withholding feed. I actually am raising two such cases.

“Just curious, were you severely beaten for needing a midnight snack or drink of water? Animals are not like humans. My dogs and cats even grab a bite to eat or drink at times during the night. Animals are by nature "grazers" and eat and drink when they NEED, not necessarily when MAN tells them so.”

Just so we’re very clear, I love all my critters. I would never do anything to hurt them. That is why I’m asking those with more knowledge and experience what I can or cannot do. I’m trying to reduce the frequency of cleaning because I have severe pain in my back nearly every day and I can’t afford to buy bedding pellets every three days. Also, they splash so much of their water into their bedding, they are always without water when I wake up. I will continue to try anything which pops into my head until I find a solution.

I came here for help so I can give them everything they need and do everything better. Putting me down only served to hurt me.
I don’t feel welcome here, so I’m saying goodbye. Thank you to everyone who has helped myself and others.

Back
Top Bottom