How do you keep straw in their nests?

Larry in Hawaii

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Big Island, Hawaii
I'm not new to chickens..we have had them for years either free range or in a run. Here in Hawaii we chose to have them in a run because we live in the lava fields, so not much grass for them. Since it does get warm here, I built the coop with a slanted roof a few years ago and added a screen in area to the front and sides about 12" from the roof down. I built in the nests and have a door that opens to on the rear side to retrieve the eggs and there is a screened floor as well. Problem I have is every morning I go to get the eggs, the straw has blown away into the bottom of the coop from the nests. I don't really want to block off the breeze for the girls, but have to do something since the eggs are getting broken when they lay them to the floor of the nest without straw and of course they eat them. When I can keep the straw in the nests I get lots of eggs...un eaten. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

Still think you need to have a wood floor. Why not cut a square section out of your door and cover it with hardware cloth? Works well for us. A picture of your coop would help to advise you.

I have been thinking of adding a wood floor and attach some vinyl to it for easy clean up and keep the wind from blowing in so much. We do have nice trade winds that become a bit breezy at times. Not sure how replacing a solid door with the screen would help. Yes I know the air flow that would come from it, but it still might be a bit to much to keep the stray in the nests. I thought there would be other folks that had this problem. I thank you for all the advise

Problem I have is every morning I go to get the eggs, the straw has blown away into the bottom of the coop from the nests.
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Back
Top Bottom