How do you keep them cool in hot climates.

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I almost lost one of my two toms to a heat stroke when the weather here suddenly went from the 40's/low 50's to the low 80's in a few hours, back in April. It was a close call, but he recovered.

How do you keep them cool in warmer climates? And, how do you keep your pen dry at the same time?

I have put camo tarps over the bird pens the last couple of summers, but summer 2009 was extremely cold here (coldest July on record for Detroit) and summer 2010 was actually above average in temps, but never really went much above 90, it was just warm during the days and warm and muggy at night.

The camo tarps keep pens dry, but I don't really think I gain much in terms of temp -- they block the sun, but also trap some heat, so it probably evens out.

Just wondering if I can come up with something better for this year.

My weather goes from the 30's to 90's on a daily bases. I don't have a problem. I have never had heat stroke. Last summer it got up to 117 on a few days. I did lose a big cochin rooster but nothing else. I let mine out when it is very hot. That way they can go under bushes and find shade. I also wet down the dirt under trees for them to cool off. Many people will use the misters.

It gets really hot here in summer too and I have never had to do anything to keep them cool besides make sure thay have plenty of water available. I did try putting the sprinkler on once and they all ran away lol

Most of my chickens free range and there is plenty of shade. I also have put ice cubes in their water before and in the summer they get cold watermelon or frozen corn a couple of times a week.

Mine, too, run from the sprinkler!

Back
Top Bottom