How do you keep them cool on these super hot days?

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
I just came up from the chicken coops and I am almost passing out from the heat, it is so hot today.
All the chickens are panting and spreading their wings out and well just not themselves, I feel sooo sorry for them. But what can I do?
Are there any ways I can keep them cool on these super hot days?

P.S. It is only spring here, I can't even imagine what summer is going to be like.
th.gif
hit.gif

Is your coop dirt floored or boards? Mine is dirt so every evening when I got home, I made them a good mudhole in 2 corners. The next day they had cool earth to dig and lay in. I also gave them frozen watermelon. It was still hot, 109 F and humid, they held their feathers out and panted, but we made it through the summer here in southeast Texas.

their coops are off the ground and they can get under them when they like

This it two of our coops when they were being built, thats why the area is so messy.

I use recycled soft drink/juice/milk bottles to freeze water...use these in their water bucket and in Rubber containers on their side to make a small air conditioned room for them. I do the same for my rabbits...they snuggle right up to the ice bottles.

I use a fan in my run which has a roof to shade it. I also pour water on the floor of the run which is sand...they love to dig in that cool soil and make fox holes to lie in.

Boo-Boo's Mama :

I use recycled soft drink/juice/milk bottles to freeze water...use these in their water bucket and in Rubber containers on their side to make a small air conditioned room for them. I do the same for my rabbits...they snuggle right up to the ice bottles.

I use a fan in my run which has a roof to shade it. I also pour water on the floor of the run which is sand...they love to dig in that cool soil and make fox holes to lie in.

OK, That sounds like a good idea. I'm off to fill the freezer with bottle of water.

also, a bit off topic but I see you have 5 silver laced wyandottes, are they laying yet? if they are when did they start?​

lau.gif
Yes, then there are the teasers who go in and out of the nesting boxes...sit for awhile and then get down...when I check, NO egg!

Another thing I do to cool my girls off....I make homemade yogurt, add overripe bananas and freeze...they love it! I also have added oatmeal to the yogurt and freeze.

i do the frozen water bottle, butter tub, anything plastic, cheap and can freeze water in for dogs, rabbits,chickens etc. Also, i have 2 box fans that i clip a little mister system to, i got it at walmart or lowes during the summer and it clips to any old fan and i just turn the hose on trickle and it makes my horses a water cooler to stand in, i put it under the " run in" so its not in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom