How do you keep wasps out of your (open) sheds?

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
I just found 3 new wasp nests in my 8x8 goat shed,which were built by the busy little buggers over night. They're awfully close to my 3 goats, when they're eating/sleeping in there, and I'm wondering if anyone has any (preferably all-natural) bug deterrents, which they can recommend.
I use DE under my chickens' and goats' bedding, but obviousely that only works on the floor, not higher up, under the eaves.
Any good tricks, anyone?

We don't have our coop yet, but I have a wasp problem in my garage and on our porch. I just watch for the nests or wasps buzzing around and as soon I see one I spray it with wasp/hornet killer.

Other than moth balls, I don't know of anything that will keep them away and you don't want to expose animals continuously to moth balls.

Quote:
Are you serious? Some old wives tales are based on wisdom...
have you had success with this? dark blues or light blues?
Any idea why this is supposed to work?
Would be fun if it did!

Yes, I am serious. Sky blue or kelly green. It's supposed to make them think it's the sky, or that it's an open top. If you are from the south and have ever seen the ceiling of people porch's painted that color, you will also notice they don't have dirt daubers or wasps. I have open coops and the ceilings are blue tin, no wasps or dirt daubers so I would say that yes, it works. I am DEATHLY afraid of wasps, but will pick up a snake so I'm not pulling your leg.

I dont know if it really works but now that you mention it my porch ceiling is blue and no wasps there. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom