How do you keep water from freezing in winter?

jutakis

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2015
Seattle
I've seen so many options. Winters are typically mild here but we do go below freezing. For those that have experience what works for you?

If you have electricity there are numerous articles out there and on this website on how to make a heater from a metal cookie tin and light bulb. It is very inexpensive, safe and easy to make.

I live in area that is about an average of negative 15 every day, and significantly colder at night. They have an insulated coop and run, and do generate enough heat. I change what's in their water dish 3 times a day, With warm water. Once before I go to school, usually between 6:30 or 7:00am. I change the water when I get back from school, about three pm, and once when its just about dark.
Good luck

I use a bucket with horizontal nipples and a bucket heater inside when it starts to freeze here. We go to -20 for a week at a time here. I've had no trouble with this setup. I have attached a couple of photographs showing what I use and I got the heater from Amazon.

Good luck with your winter preparations,

RJ

bucket heaters? Hell that set up looks like they have heating and air conditioning. Nice coop

Lol, yes I love my Banty birds and their new coop is what happens when one surrenders their youth, after many years of working. Always wanted a coop I could go out and sit in with the birds in the colder months, this one has worked well.

Thank you for the kind words,

RJ

I use solar heat as much as possible but also change the water as required. I use black rubber bowls. If, and this is a big if, you get sunlight, a black rubber bowl filled with fresh water will stay thawed well down into the 20’s as long as you start with fresh water in the morning. In the mornings and when I don’t get sun I bang the rubber bowl on the ground or stomp it to get the ice out, then refill it. The rubber won’t break so it is not too hard.

I’m retired and normally around most of the day anyway but even when I have to be gone during the day this works OK. I do get some days it never gets out of the teens most winters but here those days are normally sunny. I’m usually not travelling on those days anyway so this works for me. In Seattle I would not expect you to get a lot of winter sunlight so this might not work for you all that well.

I have a question along the line of this thread... I would like to use an electric dog bowl in my coop as it gets colder, but I have hardwood sawdust on the floor and I dont want to risk a fire. I would just clear an area, but my girls are notorious for kicking the bedding all over and for some reason especially under the waterer. Up to now we have been using a plastic, top fill waterer on a short metal stand (about 3"high) but it is getting cold enough to freeze inside the bottom where it feeds out. Any suggestions?

I use the galvanized waterers on electric metal heaters, on stands so they are above the bedding. I have no time to dump water dishes two or three times daily, and my Marans rooster would have wet frozen wattles in a heated dog dish. There are several options available, and you may have to try a couple to see what works for you. Mary

Back
Top Bottom