HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR CHICKENS COOL!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SunshineSilkies, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Songster

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    It has been unbearably hot here in Florida for the last month. How do you keep your chickens cool in the hot weather? I've got fans, but I thought of taking a squirt bottle and misting them. Give me some ideas...........[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I bought a mister from sams yesterday, I am going to put it in their run. For right now they are in shade in their tractor with a fan and a few pans of water. I have also given them a few pieces of cold watermelon today. Still way too hot but supposed to be much hotter by the weekend. I used to love summer as a kid, but I really am starting to hate it now!

3. swtamour

swtamour Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I put a lot of ice in their water.

4. thebritt

thebritt Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Keeping their drinking water cool is key...we had an unusually hot couple days last year, and a neighbor lost 24 birds! When I checked the drinking water it was actually TOO HOT TO TOUCH! AND IT WAS IN THE SHADE! We lost 2 rabbits that day - even though they were in a north-facing pole barn. Again, insanely HOT water! I live close to the Pacific coast, and it rarely gets above 80, but it was over 100 and there was no time to become acclimatized. A lot of people lost a lot of animals those 2 days.
    I would think a mister would be a practiclally guarenteed way to prevent overheating.

5. jjparke

jjparke Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    When I did a batch of cornish last summer I took a bunch of plastic water bottles and froze them then just threw them out randomly in the coop. The chickens loved it. They would huddle up around them. When they get hot they would pant really heavy but they would huddle up to the bottles and be just fine. I used about 10 bottles for 30 chickens and that was plenty.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have done the bottle thing too. Works really well.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I replenish the water ( cold!!!) and hose them down. They act like it's hot sauce but it works.

8. the water bottle trick works here too, for the bunny as well. I also freeze big blocks of ice for my dogs, so I polan on doing the same for my girls. they can stand on it pick at it or whatever.

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I put shades on them.......... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also use the frozen 2 liter method, or just walk out there with the hose............. they hated the 1st time, and now whenever they see it, they come running like little dino's [​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I have done the same things. You can use the setting on your sprayer nozzle to make it like rain; I point the sprayer up and let the "raindrops" fall on them, rather than sending a jet (which might hurt) at a bird.

Ice cubes in the water dish is nice. So are some nice cold grapes or a piece of watermelon. [​IMG]

Make sure they have access to shade (including a shady place to dustbathe).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: