How do you keep your coop door open on windy days???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    our door on our coop is a pain to us and our girls sometimes.

When it is windy out, like today and yesterday the door will shut and either shut the girls inside or outside. If they are inside, they can sometimes get it opened by themselves and come out, but going back in is the problem.

The latch that is on it is the slide barrel type, so I need to come up with some idea on keeping the door open on wendy days. Any ideas??

Here is the best picture I have of our coop/run

[​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Bungie cord or a little hook and eye.

Love your little EE by the way. Mine is 5 weeks old now and reminds me of the RoadRunner in willie Coyote MepBep!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:My 10 yro suggested the bungie cord and I finally found ours (took 2 too fix it) but it worked for now.

Yeah the little EE is our Buffy Girl. She actually lays olive eggs. I believe the other 2 in the picture are Queeny Girl (black) and Fancy Girl (white). Queeny lays a pink egg and Fancy a white egg. We have another black one and she lays a blue/green egg. They are all mutts and all of them have Araucana/Ameraucana in them. God knows what else there is, but we love them.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We just installed a simple hook and eye latch on ours.

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I was also going to suggest a hook and eye. Great minds think alike!!

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Mine blew shut the other night -

I went to the coop to make sure everyone was in bed and they were all roosting on the ramp. They normally put themselves to bed, I figured they were just being typical teenagers wanting to stay out all night so I picked up the closest one to put her in the coop and BAM! I knocked her right into the pop door [​IMG] - our door is made of clear lexan and I didn't realize it had blown shut, boy did I feel like a dummy [​IMG]! Good news is, my chicken forgave me - I got a rope to tie it back with temporarily until I can find a more permanent solution. I'm thinking a bungee cord hooked to the fence will be my best option.

7. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    I would use a hook -n- eye or for really cheap, a bent nail. Use one in the middle or depending on the height of your door, possibly two.
    P.S. I'm from VA too! A small town near Roanoke & Lynchburg

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    t/m - I'm in Augusta County. [​IMG] Guess we're all neighbors!

9. Florida_country_boy

Florida_country_boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I just leave a shovel proped up against the door to keep it open.

10. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by