How do you know a real broody hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Today was the test for one of our Speckled Sussex hens. She is sitting on 6 runner duck eggs. We ripped the roof off the house she is sitting in, put a new A frame roof on. Hammering, sawing, saw dust was falling on her. [​IMG] and she sat tight all day. Now that is a broody hen

Steve

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yup. She's broody.

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's funny! Was she swearing at the workers? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:She just kept looking up at me as if to say...... Don't you have something else to do.

Steve

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I love when they give you 'the look'... You KNOW what they are saying!!! LOL

6. iheartchkns

iheartchkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    They almost seem like they've taken a vow of silence and fasting for 21 days, and they're just aching to cut loose and say how they really feel once the 21 days is over. I keep telling my broody hen what a great mom she is to encourage her. She's probably thinking, "yeah, yeah, this ain't no walk in the park lady."

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

Broody hen? If you have to ask, the answer is "no." [​IMG]

8. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Quote:I do the same thing to my girl and I get "the look" too. lol It's funny.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Well, I don't know about the 'silence' part....mine always scream at the other birds if they get too close. Some of them even scream at me, but they are so cute when they do it [​IMG] One of mine was screeching her head off today.....cause a 6 week old barred rock cockerel chick was standing in front of her nest [​IMG] Don't think she has much to worry about there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by