How do you know if a chicken will be ok?

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
There was a big german shepherd mix dog the size of a wolf that chased and picked up one of my bantam cochin roos. The owner took the roo out of his mouth. I found him in some bushes and he was pretty shook up and breathing hard but I think that is all. How long would it be till I know he is ok? Or should I do something for shock? He is walking around, but he is shook up. Thanks

Our Shepherd puppy has caught a chicken a time or two and kind of mauled it in a playing kind of way. Back feathers sopping wet from her treating it like a chew toy but no injuries. However, the chicken each time was breathing fast and heavily, eyes wide open, and I was worried they would go into shock. Each time I just sat and held it and petted and talked softly to it till it calmed down and it was fine.

I would keep an eye on him, but I think just letting him get back to his regular routine would be the best for him. After a shock like that, a sense of 'getting back to normal' would be good for him.

If he doesn't show signs of improvement in a day or two, then I would start to worry.

My Scottish Terrier has never picked up a chicken, but he does catch wild birds in his mouth. Odd I know, but he does it, and has become very good at it. Anyway he will bring them into the house lay down with them and just lick on them between his front paws. He has never once hurt one, I mean no broken bones, punctures, anything. Just a wet little bird chirping at him. When I hear it I will pick up the bird, and they are like your chicken, heart going a million miles an hour, heavy breathing, all that. I take them outside, dry them a little in a towel, and in a matter of minutes they are calm, and when they are ready they will perch up on my hand and fly away unscathed. Funny thing is I think there is one bird has been caught multiple times, I think there is a little cross species love affair or something. In the month we have had our chicks he (nor our other dog) has never ever tried to catch a chick. We introduced them from day one, so they are just family now.

Point is this. Maybe the dog just wanted to play or just has a bird fetish. Could be there was no intention to eat your little one (which sounds to be the case). If a dog had intended to kill it, it would have with it's first bite. Still a scary event for a chicken, even if the dog had "good" intentions. Hope the little one is OK now.

Back
Top Bottom