How do you know if your chicken is overweight?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JPyers, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JPyers

JPyers In the Brooder

May 14, 2018
    Hi guys!

This is my first flock and nervous about my Buff Orpington, Bok-Bok-Choy, being overweight. She is the alpha of the 3 chicken flock and seems to hoard all the food and bully the others so she can eat the majority of it.

I am curious, how do you know if you chicken is gaining too much weight? Any tips on controlling her hoarding/bullying issue is also greatly appreciated :) I have included some photos below. She is mostly fluff, but i'm pretty sure she weighs a good 5-6lbs. Thanks in advance!

c5f9c38f-006f-4e82-a041-61f609bec719.jpg 130f2063-9fd3-413b-9ac2-90be704550e2.jpg
    97be5af1-4e86-4391-a89b-9ea38093c562.jpg
    7d14f55f-55ca-4239-a664-236559f064be.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Kalimak

Kalimak Chirping

Jun 20, 2018
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Just here to say she’s adorable :wee

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on what you call food. If it is a complete chicken feed and not a lot of scratch and treats, there is little danger of overeating.
    Feed should be available all day so the others will have plenty of opportunity to eat their fill too.
    You can also provide multiple feed stations so she can't keep the others from all of them.
    She just looks like she is sporting a nice thick winter coat. When she molts, you'll likely be shocked at how thin she looks.

JPyers, Aceoky, Melky and 3 others like this.
  4. MotherOfPeepPeeps

MotherOfPeepPeeps Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Missouri
    I'm curious about this topic too... How do you assess the proper conditioning and weight of a hen?

:pop

JPyers, Melky and EggWalrus like this.
  5. JPyers

JPyers In the Brooder

May 14, 2018
    Haha aww thanks :)

Melky and Kalimak like this.
  6. JPyers

JPyers In the Brooder

May 14, 2018
    Awesome, thanks so much for your reply! I was always curious if they would overeat if they are free feeding. Thank goodness she has that thick coat, it's been super chilly here. Can't wait to see her beach bod after the molt :)

Melky likes this.
  7. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Songster

Jun 25, 2014
    As soon as I saw this post I knew the culprit chicken would be a Buff Orpington.:lau I have them too,and they are very sweet and docile but when it comes to food they are quite protective gluttons!! You could try giving the chickens another feeder.That way even if she drives them away they have another place to rotate to.It works with my birds!She doesn't look overweight from her pictures,Orpington's are supposed to look big and fluffy.Her feather's will make her look bigger than she is.

Aceoky, ChickNanny13, ConnieA and 3 others like this.
  8. How do you know if your chicken is overweight?
    If my family can't eat it in one sitting.
    :oops:

9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I think you might be able to assess body condition by touch. The keel should be palpable, and the limbs should be firm, not squishy with fat. Compare how she feels on some gentle squeezing, fingertips beneath her feathers, with the others.

JPyers, ConnieA, ChickNanny13 and 2 others like this.
  10. Aren't Orpingtons suppose to have small Combs and wattles? Hence partly why they are cold Hardy? I have 5 different orps only 2 with big wattles and combs are the roosters. The hens they are very small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: